[SOLVED] PC KEEPS CRASHING< NEED HELP!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 29, 2021
Hi guys, I am in need of help. I used to use a 27inch monitor and a old system, I recently bought a 49inch samsung super ultrawide and used it on my old system no issues, decided to upgrade and build a new system.
I built my new system on 18th december
i7 9900k default clock speed
ram 32gb of corsair rgb ram
msi z390 a pro motherboard
1000w psu given by a friend.
rtx 2070super
corsair h100i cooler (recently installed to try fix my system)
3ssd drives all 1tb and a samsung 4tb HDD as external for my business backup
I can play call of duty no crashes and call of duty cold war no crashes either. play battlefield v, gta or any other high intensive games it crashes. I will be playing 15 min to 3 hours and my pc will freeze the screen locks up but i can still see the game where it has froze, pc stays on and all fans are running etc. I have to hard reset the pc at the power or mains, this has persitted since i built this new system.
I have built the system correctly as I have built many systems before in my old job.

FIXES I HAVE TRIED
I have tried all fixes i can find to try sort it, turning xmp on and off
I have looked at event viewer there is nothing there accept it says, system shutdown.
I have had no blue screens of death with this issue.
removed all software that controls pc
at first i thought it was windows causing pc crashes, I reinstalled windows still crashing
I have updated bios version and down graded it, still crashes
I have tried old ram and new ram it still crashes
I tried my old video card and it still crashed
I upgraded my cooler incase cpu was overheating even though temps were kinda normal )still crashed)
I recently saw a post about icue software crashing, so i uninstalled and an hour in it crashed.
I have scanned my ram and hard drive and stress tested the pc and cant get it to crash, as soon as i play a game it crashes. but i can do 11 hours in windows with no issues
I have tried drivers for intel and nvidia still no luck, no versions sort it.
I have uninstalled audio drivers and still get crashes.
I have tried everything software possible to try stop it, tried closing logitech and razer software, it still crashes.
I have tried various game fixes incase it was the game and it still crashed.

I have just purchased and new powersupply as I believe my powersupply could be the culprit being 7 years old as thats what other pages I have read up on state.
I have just ordered a new display port cable and hard drive cables incase that could be causing something
My next step if the psu does not fix it is to rma the motherboard and try another one or even try a new cpu in this board.

if anyone has anymore ideas please let me know, I have probs missed a few fixes off here that i have tried.

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Solution
I've never heard of 'auto overclocking". If I were you, I'd follow the instructions in your motherboard manual on how to Clear CMOS (Make sure the PSU is either turned off or not plugged in when you do this!). I'd then reboot into BIOS and do a "reset to factory defaults". At that point your system should NOT be overclocked.
Jan 29, 2021
I haven't read the reviews you are referring to. Could you please post link(s) to them? The comments I've read indicates the your motherboard may be good enough if you don't overclock. Other comments suggest your i9-9900k may not even be able to handle the standard all core turbo boost of 4.7 GHz. I've also read things that indicate the VRM could get very hot, although I don't know if that would cause throttling.

here are the reviews, purchased from here all seem decent saying it rubs it no problem https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Z390-S...ds=z390+pro+motherboard&qid=1611952944&sr=8-4

my new psu has arrived so i am going to install, I will update you all and see what happems

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
What 1000W PSU are you using exactly?

you thinking my motherboard is not powerful enough to run the processor? Everyone on the reviews were praising the motherboard and that they overclocked it to 4.9 with no issues, this is my last resort to send this board back
Don't worry, it should run at default speeds, bad VRMs are a problem if you're trying to overclock.

Get OCCT V 4.5.1 to run a couple of tests, use this version as new ones are bloated with popups and messages to trick you into paying $10 to unlock "premium" tests that used to be free before, anyway, get this and select power supply test, set it to 1 hour with 0 minutes idle periods, DirectX11 and your screen's native resolution. If it crashes your PSU can't provide enough power to run both the CPU and graphics card at 100% at the same time.
You'll notice your CPU frequency could show up as 800MHz or plain 0, don't worry as this is because this version of OCCT was released before your CPU so it doesn't "knows" what a 9th gen chip is.

You can also try running both Prime95 and Furmark with ridiculously high settings at the same time but involves using 2 different programs.

Jan 29, 2021
I have an evga 1000w platinum plated. just installed new powersupply and its just my luck its faulty, I bought a corsair 750w gold plated. for £100 from amazon so i got it quickly, i have installed all wires correctly and the pc posted and came up, then 5 minutes later just shut down, then i tried to boot up again the power supply made a ticking sound and then decided to not let the computer boot at all, decided to reinstall my old one and its booted up fine, I am going to rma this power supply and purchase another one, any recommendations for the specs I have above?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 29, 2021
What 1000W PSU are you using exactly?

Don't worry, it should run at default speeds, bad VRMs are a problem if you're trying to overclock.

Get OCCT V 4.5.1 to run a couple of tests, use this version as new ones are bloated with popups and messages to trick you into paying $10 to unlock "premium" tests that used to be free before, anyway, get this and select power supply test, set it to 1 hour with 0 minutes idle periods, DirectX11 and your screen's native resolution. If it crashes your PSU can't provide enough power to run both the CPU and graphics card at 100% at the same time.
You'll notice your CPU frequency could show up as 800MHz or plain 0, don't worry as this is because this version of OCCT was released before your CPU so it doesn't "knows" what a 9th gen chip is.

You can also try running both Prime95 and Furmark with ridiculously high settings at the same time but involves using 2 different programs.

hi mate i am currently doing the test, I realised that my cpu is auto overclocking, is this normal? could this be causing the crashes? View: https://imgur.com/a/4q7BiUm
there is a link to view it as I could not paste or import the photo for the life of me. i have highlighted in yellow what part worries me

I've never heard of 'auto overclocking". If I were you, I'd follow the instructions in your motherboard manual on how to Clear CMOS (Make sure the PSU is either turned off or not plugged in when you do this!). I'd then reboot into BIOS and do a "reset to factory defaults". At that point your system should NOT be overclocked.

Solution

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
hi mate i am currently doing the test, I realised that my cpu is auto overclocking, is this normal? could this be causing the crashes? View: https://imgur.com/a/4q7BiUm
there is a link to view it as I could not paste or import the photo for the life of me. i have highlighted in yellow what part worries me
Don't worry it's not overclocking, that's the turbo boost.

If it hasn't crashed try P95 and Furmark, if it still doesn't crashes then something's wrong with the game you're trying to run.