Question PC keeps crashing quite randomly after new GPU install and Case switch

Jan 5, 2024
Hey Guys and Gals,

I recently upgraded my PC to a GTX 4090 and due to the sheer size of this beast I had to upgrade my case as well. Nothing else really changed.

After setting up the new PC I installed NZXT CAM and ASUS Armoury crate for RGB lighting control. I did not had that installed before because my Cerberus case was full to the brim.

After I turned the new PC on I immediately tested the new performance in blender my main working tool and was so happy with the new render times. Everything seemed to work like a charm.

But then when I played some Avatar suddenly the whole PC just shut down in an instant, no blue-screen, no graphics glitch nothing, just black screen and all lights except the power LED on the case went out.

I restarted and chalked it off to Ubisoft. After that it seemed to be stable for hrs then again, Crash. So I stopped playing Avatar for now. When I played CS2 I got a random crash a day as well but after that all day nothing. I asked around and a friend told me I should clean reinstall the graphics drivers. So I did that. After that CS2 only crashed once after 2 weeks or so. Weird. But now it comes. When I play other games the crash happens far more frequently. In Path Of Exile I get one every 2-3 hrs. sometimes I cant finish an area at all because it just keeps crashing there. But the Ascend for example safe crashes the game after max 15 mins playtime. So that game was now my benchmark.

I did Prime95, Furmark and heavy blender rendering for about 30 mins each and nothing happened I checked with CAM and the temps where normal. Everything works as it is suppose to. Then last night I tried the DISM windows cleanup routine and it found some corruption and completed without errors (that's a first).

On to the Ascend I go. And I can play the tutorial. I am happy but reserved. And just when I let my guard down after about an hour of playtime. Boom! it crashes again.

I don't know what else I can do. If it would be the PSU,GPU,CPU,RAM or Temps it would crash during the stress tests as well right? But it didn't.. It crashes most frequently in a game that is not nearly as taxing as others. Even in PoE when the game crashed nothing special was happening. Its not like my build fires 1 Million Fireballs a second. Its was during leveling.

Help tom'sHARDWARE you're my only hope.

Jan 5, 2024
Sounds like the PSU. Make model, age ?
Hey Thanks for the reply. That was my first thought as well. But why does it crash during games but not during furmark? I have a new benchmark btw. Path of Exile the Innocence Boss fight. Every time. But only with one specific character. I tried it with another character and then I could complete it.

My PSU is a Silverstone ST1200-PTS and its 3.5 Years old

edit: I just repaired my DirectX install and I could complete the Boss fight. A corrupted DirectX would also explain the not crashing during blender renders or Furmark. But I am still weary. I keep you posted.

edit2: It crashed again..

edit3: I did the 3DMark Free demo 2 times in a row and it didn't crash.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nine Layer Nige