Question PC Keeps giving a green screen and rebooting and nothing seems to fix it

Jul 2, 2024
Hey there. So I've been having the same issue for several months now and I cannot find any Solutions whatsoever. It can work fine for a month or so and it always keeps coming back. I use this desktop only for gaming and while gaming sometimes I get a solid green screen and the pc reboots. I already reinstalled Windows, gpu drivers, chipset drivers, updated Bios, used memtest to check RAM, swapped motherboard, and ran countless stress tests for the Gpu. The latest thing that happened was that it rebooted once with no green screen today when I swapped the HDMI cable I was using for a DisplayPort one. In the event viewer one error that keeps popping up is the EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcg. While googling I noticed it was related to Crucial SSDs which is what I have so I downloaded its program and updated the firmware. This was only a few days ago so I didn't have much time to see if it worked but after today's random reboot I don't know what to think anymore. I also checked if there were any dump files I could look into but as far as I know there were none created. What do I do now? Are there any other files that can give more info?

Specs: Asus Tuf b550 wifi II
Radeon 5600XT
Ryzen 5 5500
16GB TridentZ Rgb RAM
Evga 650W Gold
Crucial MX500 500GB (C drive)
Western Digital 1TB

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Evga 650W Gold
EVGA is the brand of the unit, while 650W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit and it's age?

Asus Tuf b550 wifi II
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

16GB TridentZ Rgb RAM
Got a link to the ram kit you're using?

Jul 2, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Evga 650W Gold
EVGA is the brand of the unit, while 650W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit and it's age?

Asus Tuf b550 wifi II
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

16GB TridentZ Rgb RAM
Got a link to the ram kit you're using?
I have no clue about the model. I bought it in 2017. I forgot to mention this all started happening once I upgraded my CPU. I took it to a repair shop and according to them the PSU was fine but who knows. All the stress tests I did didn't cause any shutdowns.

Bios I just updated it to the latest one. Again I don't think this is related because it happened with two different mobos. And once it crashed 15 minutes after I updated.

Ram is this one I believe www.gskill.com/product/165/166/1536547950/F4-2400C15D-16GTZR

---- Marvell and Intel (RAID) SATA/ACHI chipset drivers----

The writing below is from that link but it seems the OP had to install a Window 7 Marvell driver but read on and see if his fix can help you as well. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Googling EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcgDrv a common theme started to appear:
A lot of Micron Crucial SSD owners (they top the google search results) were experiencing this issue across many models of their SSD range. As my system has a Crucial M550 I also feel into this category.

Issue:
With Win10 my system was just using "Windows generic storage driver" for the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Going to my mobo (Asrock z68 extreme4) website for Win10 drivers it only offered 3 and none of those were for for SATA/AHCI drivers and previously this system had worked fine with a different make of SSD for the last ~4 years without issue.

Last night I went back and found the--- Marvell and Intel (RAID) SATA/ACHI chipset drivers---, and although they were only listed up to--- Win7 OS I installed one--- (the Marvel as it was a exe) and then updated the other via Device Manager and have not had a system lock since (touch wood).

In summary: from the forum posts I was reading it has to do with Win10 encryption (Bitlocker) wanting to over-ride the Crucial SSD Host Controller (HC) instructions.
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial...TCG-Command-has-returned-an-error/td-p/149506