[SOLVED] Pc keeps randomly going to black screen and restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2020
Hello, so I built my pc early this month, and no problems arises after starting, the PC ran great for about 20 days, then suddenly the screen went black When playing fallout 76 and the computer restarted To the black screen with MSI on it then it’s loads to the ‘please wait’ screen as if someone could have pressed the reset button on the case.

this happens when playing/loading games and sometimes on the home screen browsing files or on the internet and makes using it super scary as I never know when it will turn off.

playing league of legends once the game froze and shortly after my PC did it’s black screen + restart

it got so bad that my windows wouldn’t load Properly and went to a black screen (could still acces file explorer and task manager) and I ended up formatting my HDD and loading a fresh install of windows onto it and it started fine, I installed all the latest drivers for my motherboard and GPU to make sure they weren’t conflicting with each other.

the computer acted normally againuntil it happened again...I ran the RAM through diagnostic and it found no issues, I also put the RAM in one at a time to see if one stick or both were faulty, the computer still did the same thing on both individual and both sticks of RAM.

my GPU and CPU temps are all correct and nothing overheated when gaming or on the desktop.

I am wondering if my power supply for my system is faulty or could it be a dodgy HDD?

we looked at the HDD externally and found it was healthy but it could still be the issue.

my power supply is a 500w be quiet! System power 9 bronze and has plenty of power to run my machine.

I have reseated all my components and made sure nothing can short and is correctly installed.

my specs are;

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 gaming plus MAX motherboard

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 super
corsair vengeance LPX 16gb 3000mhz
Western digital blue 1tb HDD

If anyone has had the same issue or thinks they know how to solve this then please reply.

thank you very much.

May 24, 2020
You can try disabling Windows rebooting automatically on error and see the message, it usually gives a hint as to what is wrong.
Okay so h
You can try disabling Windows rebooting automatically on error and see the message, it usually gives a hint as to what is wrong.
https://www.lifewire.com/how-do-i-disable-automatic-restart-on-system-failure-in-windows-2626067
okay, thank you for the reply, but it randomly turns off like it’s been unplugged and then switches on swiftly after it’s gone off, when the pc starts Normally my CPU light comes on for a few second then goes off, when it does it’s random abrupt shutdown and restart the VGA light comes in the motherboard and goes off again.

does this suggest anything to do with the GPU ?? Or anything ??

Okay so h

okay, thank you for the reply, but it randomly turns off like it’s been unplugged and then switches on swiftly after it’s gone off, when the pc starts Normally my CPU light comes on for a few second then goes off, when it does it’s random abrupt shutdown and restart the VGA light comes in the motherboard and goes off again.

does this suggest anything to do with the GPU ?? Or anything ??
That looks like something deeper than a GPU problem. Make sure the CPU and RAM sticks are properly plugged in, the motherboard is clean, and all wires are properly plugged in and sheathed. Your PSU might be faulty.

May 24, 2020
That looks like something deeper than a GPU problem. Make sure the CPU and RAM sticks are properly plugged in, the motherboard is clean, and all wires are properly plugged in and sheathed. Your PSU might be faulty.
Yeah I thought I could be my PSU, I’ve checked the RAM and it seems fine, I hope it’s not my CPU because that would be really annoying, is there anything I can do to check it’s health or look for issues?

ever since I reinstalled windows and all the graphics and motherboard drivers it seems better though ?

It still did it once but hasn’t done it since the last time, it seems way more stable but it didn’t always do it, after I built it, it had no issues but it just randomly happened one day.

May 24, 2020
[/QUOTE
Then it can be the RAM - in BIOS, increase its voltage slightly (0.01 V).
okay thank you I will try that and get back to you if this does not solve my issue thank you very much for your replies it’s very helpful indeed :)

Aug 26, 2021
Hello, so I built my pc early this month, and no problems arises after starting, the PC ran great for about 20 days, then suddenly the screen went black When playing fallout 76 and the computer restarted To the black screen with MSI on it then it’s loads to the ‘please wait’ screen as if someone could have pressed the reset button on the case.

this happens when playing/loading games and sometimes on the home screen browsing files or on the internet and makes using it super scary as I never know when it will turn off.

playing league of legends once the game froze and shortly after my PC did it’s black screen + restart

it got so bad that my windows wouldn’t load Properly and went to a black screen (could still acces file explorer and task manager) and I ended up formatting my HDD and loading a fresh install of windows onto it and it started fine, I installed all the latest drivers for my motherboard and GPU to make sure they weren’t conflicting with each other.

the computer acted normally againuntil it happened again...I ran the RAM through diagnostic and it found no issues, I also put the RAM in one at a time to see if one stick or both were faulty, the computer still did the same thing on both individual and both sticks of RAM.

my GPU and CPU temps are all correct and nothing overheated when gaming or on the desktop.

I am wondering if my power supply for my system is faulty or could it be a dodgy HDD?

we looked at the HDD externally and found it was healthy but it could still be the issue.

my power supply is a 500w be quiet! System power 9 bronze and has plenty of power to run my machine.

I have reseated all my components and made sure nothing can short and is correctly installed.

my specs are;

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 gaming plus MAX motherboard

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 super
corsair vengeance LPX 16gb 3000mhz
Western digital blue 1tb HDD

If anyone has had the same issue or thinks they know how to solve this then please reply.

thank you very much.
I have the same fault just wondering how you fixed it

Oct 11, 2021
I have the same issue as well, checked memory with memtest, everything seemed fine. Also checked PSU with a wattagemeter and nothing bad showed up, ofcourse the restart didn't happen then... Any specific solutions?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I have the same issue as well, checked memory with memtest, everything seemed fine. Also checked PSU with a wattagemeter and nothing bad showed up, ofcourse the restart didn't happen then... Any specific solutions?

These are very general symptoms. Start a new thread with a detailed description of the problem, the history of the problem, and your specific specs, rather than jump into a random thread from a year and a half ago from someone who probably does not have identical specs.

Reactions: interiorcrook
Status
Not open for further replies.