Question PC keeps restarting under load(gaming)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel_.

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
Hello, so I had this issue for a while now
So I have this PC
SPECS:
Motherboard: Supermicro X7DB8
RAM: 32GB DDR2
CPU: 1x(I'm not using the other socket) Intel Xeon 5450 (4core, 3.00Ghz)
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 470 ARMOR OC 4GB
PSU: CHIEFTEC GPS-500AB A(500W)

Long story, short, when I try to run games like TheHunter COTW, GTA 5, DIRT Rally or any other "high" requirements game,
after playing for 1-10minutes, or even less, the pc completly restarts without any beep or any other signal, monitor turns off and pc boots up again.
I also noticed that the power wires(from the 24PIN) 2yellow wire(main power) is a little bit darker than it should be.
(Motherboard requires 8pin CPU + 24pin)
First I thought that my GPU is bad, because when I start up furmark it restarts again after 30sec-1min(GPU requires 8pin too) but after I saw the power wires were a little bit darker, so these problems can be because the PSU is not giving enough power?
+I also had a PSU (HKC 650W) which completly fried, all 24pin wires were very hot and all of them were almost grey
+What would be a good&cheap power supply to buy?

Hello, so I had this issue for a while now
So I have this PC
SPECS:
Motherboard: Supermicro X7DB8
CPU: 1x(I'm not using the other socket) Intel Xeon 5450 (4core, 3.00Ghz)
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 470 ARMOR OC 4GB
PSU: CHIEFTEC GPS-500AB A(500W)

Long story, short, when I try to run games like TheHunter COTW, GTA 5, DIRT Rally or any other "high" requirements game,
after playing for 1-10minutes, or even less, the pc completly restarts without any beep or any other signal, monitor turns off and pc boots up again.
I also noticed that the power wires(from the 24PIN) 2yellow wire(main power) is a little bit darker than it should be.
(Motherboard requires 8pin CPU + 24pin)
First I thought that my GPU is bad, because when I start up furmark it restarts again after 30sec-1min(GPU requires 8pin too) but after I saw the power wires were a little bit darker, so these problems can be because the PSU is not giving enough power?
+I also had a PSU (HKC 650W) which completly fried, all 24pin wires were very hot and all of them were almost grey
+What would be a good&cheap power supply to buy?
Your power supply is an old, group regulated, lower quality model. Even if it is not the cause of your problem you should replace it with a better unit. The words good&cheap don't go together when discussing power supplies. Good quality models cost more and there's no way around it. If you try to find a cheap model you'll end up with something like you have now, which is not going to help you. If Corsair models are available where you live, the CX550 would be fine for a budget model.

Reactions: 4745454b

Diesel_.

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
Okay, so nothing is wrong with my gpu then,
I don't know if 550W would be enough,
I checked the motherboard's docs and it said minimum 500W
And the gpu requires 150W, so a total of 650W?
What budget brand PSU would be good that is enough for a little bit of gpu overclocking too?

Okay, so nothing is wrong with my gpu then,
I don't know if 550W would be enough,
I checked the motherboard's docs and it said minimum 500W
And the gpu requires 150W, so a total of 650W?
What budget brand PSU would be good that is enough for a little bit of gpu overclocking too?
It doesn't work like that... Each components has its own power consumption, and you add that up. With no overclocks your system consumes around 300 W, so you are probably fine with 450 W if you are not overclocking. With a slight overclock a good 550 W unit will do the job.

The best way to get PSU advice is to tell us where you are from and a local online store for reference.

Diesel_.

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
It doesn't work like that... Each components has its own power consumption, and you add that up. With no overclocks your system consumes around 300 W, so you are probably fine with 450 W if you are not overclocking. With a slight overclock a good 550 W unit will do the job.

The best way to get PSU advice is to tell us where you are from and a local online store for reference.

I thought about a 650-700W PSU because my first one was 650W and it wasn't enough I think but it was a noname(HKC) brand, and I'm from Hungary, I don't have any local PC shop around my city so I have to order it from eMAG, etc..

Hi, I got a problem.
I recently made a topic about my pc's psu, its restarting if I give heavy load on it.
Checking the voltages via AIDA64,
at IDLE it says:
1.5V= 1.472V
3.3V= 3.104V
5V= 4.915V
12V= 11.232V
-12V=12.446V
5V(standby)= 5.120V

If I give it heavy load 3.3V, and 12V drops
3.3V= 2.9V-3.0V
12V= 11V-10.800V

I measured it with a multimeter set to 20Volt, it said STABLE 12.0V, and STABLE 3.3V
What's wrong? I checked all molex connectors, all of them has normal 12V/5V/3.3V voltage, only on AIDA64 shows less, why is that?
PSU: CHIEFTEC 500W(I know it's old, it has been running with this psu for 1year now.)
MOBO: Supermicro X7DBE
CPU: 1X Xeon 5450
GPU: MSI RX 470 ARMOR OC (4GB)

Even this would be a great upgrade:

But I recommend you pay a bit more and go for this one:

Reactions: 4745454b

4745454b

Titan
No need to open more threads. If your pc has issues under load and you are running a bad psu, you replace it. Idk if your child meter is good enough. You have an issue and software reading report rails going out of spec. Replace the garbage psu.

Edit: I just got done reading all your threads. It's REALLY helpful to give ALL the info in ONE thread rather than little bits over many. For anyone reading this he's using a dual cou board that only boots up with a single cpu installed. He's in the eastern EU area, has bought a couple of low end psus, and a mining gpu off of eBay. In short he has ia bunch of low end used parts with a bad history and doesn't know why it won't work. The 509W chieftech is bad. Don't try to run a modern system with it. Your mining gpu probably also has issues. It was probably ran too hard mining and its not stable at load.

Last edited:

Diesel_.

Prominent
Feb 7, 2021
Problem was: PSU had 5screws, I had to adjust 2 of them to put the 12V to to 12V, and 3.3V to 3.3V
Works like a charm now, it's not restarting. GPU is working fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.