Question PC keeps shutting down during heavy load, then restarts 7-8 minutes later.

Dec 1, 2022
I have really ran out of ideas and I have read every post that seemed similiar to my issue but never found any solution.

Mobo: Gigabyte Z390-UD
CPU: Intel i5-9600k
RAM:HyperX Fury 2666 Mhz 16 GB
VGA: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER™ GAMING X TRIO
500GB NVME SSD
3 TB 5400 RPM HDD
PSU:Corsair RM650X 650W 80+ Gold
COOLER: SCYTHE FUMA 2 REV. B with Akasa Apache fans.

The Issue: It started randomly, the config is 3 years old. The PC shuts down during heavier loads, A 3D mark stress test around 6th-11th loop, Sometimes a few minutes of gaming, sometimes 1 hour of gaming. Then after 5-8 MINUTES it turns back on by it self. Event logger only throws the usual error for shutting down unexpectedly.

What I did so far:
Checked Temps, nothing goes above even 70 C, I Logged everything until the crash, nothing even close to high temps.
Swapped my previous PSU which was an older Corsair 1000W PSU, cause seemed like an obvious problem. The new psu is the mentioned 650W one in the specs. The problem persisted.
Tried Swapping the rams, reseated CPU, Took everything to pieces and built it up again. PRoblem persisted
Changed power extensions as well multiple times.
When i lost hope and spent too much time, I took it to a local Tech store, they ran tests (3D mark futuremark, and many others) for 2 dayss straight without having ANY issue at all with my PC.

Clearly it seems power related, like Surge protection is activating or something. I Tried to change the Power cable to the PC (since that was the only thing that differed from the techstore and me), still isnt good.

Could not test a seperate motherboard, its my only remaining idea.. I also noved to another place, so bad electricity is also ruled out..

Anyone?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Windows TIME&DATE Sync also disrupts after the restart, and I also swapped the MOBO battery.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old are both PSU's used for testing on your system? As for your platform, what are you using to cool that processor? What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for your motherboard/BIOS, can you remain in BIOS indefinitely?

Dec 1, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old are both PSU's used for testing on your system? As for your platform, what are you using to cool that processor? What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for your motherboard/BIOS, can you remain in BIOS indefinitely?

Thanks for the welcome!

The first 1000W psu was quite old, It served more than 5 years when I dumped it I got it from my friends old system. It was the reason I swapped it immidiately, thought time has taken its toll on it, and the problem will be fixed easly. The "new" one is approx 2.5 yrs old.
The cooler is a SCYTHE FUMA 2 REV. B with Akasa Apache fans.
BIOS has the latest update, and I can remain in BIOS for any amount of time if that was the question.

Also the techstore tested this exact setup with the exact components without any issue (Or so they said).

Dec 1, 2022
(Or so they said)
So you didn't see the system in operation at those stores that you'd taken the system into?

I have not seen it turned on, and working. They took their time though as they held on to it for 1 week, although they didnt seem shady at all, and told me everything they tried. They also told me it could be the electrical wiring in the apartment or bad wall conncetors, "dirty electricity" but since then, I changed apartments as well.. so... They COULD lie,I just dont see why would they. Their reputaion is really good,with literally thousands of recommendations.

Lutfij

Titan
Who would they be? If the issue only persists in your abode, it's highly likely that you have an issue with the power in your abode...or worse a grounding issue. 2.5 years is also something to keep an eye on as time will most certainly degrade the internals of the PSU and it's effective power output, aside from being taxed by power hungry components.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Windows TIME&DATE Sync also disrupts after the restart, and I also swapped the MOBO battery.
I'm certain you have a grounding issue.

Dec 1, 2022
Who would they be? If the issue only persists in your abode, it's highly likely that you have an issue with the power in your abode...or worse a grounding issue. 2.5 years is also something to keep an eye on as time will most certainly degrade the internals of the PSU and it's effective power output, aside from being taxed by power hungry components.

I'm certain you have a grounding issue.
Thanks!

They as they in the tech store.

As I said I Switched apartments so I think thats not an issue.

How come the grounding issue didnt come up in the store? And how come it suddenly appeared with my pc? (Sorry I'm really not an expert on this..)
Is there any way to fix it, what can I Do? I dont experience anything and my outlet and power cables are grounded for sure.

Last edited: