Question PC keeps trying to boot, crashes after a flicker of CPU LED ?

Oct 8, 2022
Here's the link to my build:
https://newegg.io/c6b7593

The PC worked fine for a while, but it kept crashing at what seemed to be random intervals to me.

Just a black screen and then a reboot that didn't go through and left my motherboard and ram lit up, but no power to the fans and just idle.

For a couple of times, I just had to start a reboot myself after and it would start, but one time it just kept "idling" in the state previously described after one quick flash of the CPU LED.

Initially, I had an Intel Core i7 10th Gen - Core i7-10700K and following the CPU LED hint I thought it got grilled or something so I ordered a new Intel Core i7-11700KF and it worked again for a while after making the swap, but yesterday it crashed again.

Now when I try to boot it, it keeps going through the boot until one flash of the CPU LED then it's full power off and reboot until it meets the same failure.

I thought it might be some PSU issue so I unplugged some case fans and ‘before the last crash I was monitoring the temperatures and everything looked fine although I don't know what they were at the exact time of the crash.

Thanks in advance

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
After maybe 50 reboots which 2% get me enough time to go to the bios I got this:

Model: Z590 AORUS ELITE AX
BIOS VERSION: F5
BIOS DATE: 06/18/2021
BIOS ID: 8ARKL009
Alright, so you're on the F5 bios version, the motherboard website says F3 and above supports the CPU which is good.
I've checked the motherboard website and there is bios updates that can be installed, ofcourse if you can get into the BIOS.

Since you changed out the CPU with a new one, it sounds like a motherboard issue.

Are all the cables in the motherboard correctly? Notably the CPU power connector and the 24 pin connector (make sure it is fully in the slot, may need a budge).

Oct 8, 2022
Additionally re-seat the GPU and the memory into the slots.

I did all the above and looks like it works for now... weird thing though is it only works with the 10700K and not the 11700KF.

I tried to boot with both and the 11700KF gave me the same behavior as before while the 10700K seemed to have magically been fixed.

I'm still not sure if it won't crash in the coming hours, but thanks for the help so far and I'll update the thread if anything else happens.

Thanks

Oct 8, 2022
So it seems to be able to boot if I let it "cool down" for a while, although it crashes not too long after being able to boot again.

I was able to monitor some of the hardware up until the last crash, you can see the picture below.

I also tried disabling the c-state in the BIOS, but that didn't help.

Seems to me like it would be some sort of overheat protection being triggered off, but the sensors all seem to be within normal temperatures (the graph on the left side shows CPU temps, GPU temp, and SSD temp, scale is from 20 to 42)...

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
So it seems to be able to boot if I let it "cool down" for a while, although it crashes not too long after being able to boot again.

I was able to monitor some of the hardware up until the last crash, you can see the picture below.

I also tried disabling the c-state in the BIOS, but that didn't help.

Seems to me like it would be some sort of overheat protection being triggered off, but the sensors all seem to be within normal temperatures (the graph on the left side shows CPU temps, GPU temp, and SSD temp, scale is from 20 to 42)...

Is the cpu fan securely fitted on top of the CPU?
Make sure that is is properly fitted.

You did put the backplate on when you fitted the cpu cooler right?

Oct 8, 2022
Is the cpu fan securely fitted on top of the CPU?
Make sure that is is properly fitted.

You did put the backplate on when you fitted the cpu cooler right?

Yeah the back plate is there and it looks to be securely fitted, I have been switching CPUs a couple of times now so I doubt I'm that bad at fitting my cooler that I recreated the same problem ~10x in a row.

I got into the event logs last night and it looks like before every crash I get:

Error - Event ID 56 (ACPI 2) - Source Application Popup
Critical - Event ID 41 - Source Kernel-Power

I updated the BIOS and still disabled the C-states and enabled power loading, but still got a crash something 1h after the initial boot.

I really think it has something to do with heat since it works best when I leave it alone for a while and won't start again right after a crash.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022
Which slots are your ram modules in?

Do you have XMP enabled in the BIOS?
If it is enabled, disable it and see if it fixes the issue.

Also try to set DDR4 voltage to 1.36V and see if that helps.

They are in slots 2 and 4 as recommended in the MOBOs manual.

XMP is disabled.

I'll try the 1.36V fix in a couple of hours once it has "cooled down" again long enough...

As an update, I ran memtest86 to test RAM, and although it only had time to go through 1&1/2 pass out of 4 it had found 0 errors at the time of the crash.

Thanks for your help by the way!