PC Lag, broken RAM or CPU?

ErvinBoyes

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016
My PC constantly lags. Games run at 60 fps but stutter, PUBG has lag spikes making it unplayable, Chrome crashes all the time, Adobe Premiere is unusable sometimes. My temps are fine, I think (max temp with cpu is 85 when i test it but thats just the spike at the start and thats core 0, it levels off to about 70/60 degrees, but its not overclocked and I have a Dark Rock Pro 3 BK019), I've ran memtest and checked each RAM stick and nothing was wrong (I got a BSOD "PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA", but that was only once), my drivers are up to date, I've defragged my hard drive and ran the check disk thing in cmd and there was nothing. Is there anything else I could do to try and find the problem? Thanks.

Specs:

Windows 8.1 64 bit
i7 4790k @ 4ghz, Dark Rock Pro 3 BK019
MSI GTX 970 4gb VRAM
2TB WD BLUE HDD containing windows
120gb Kingston SSD
CX750M 750w PSU
MSI Z87-G45 motherboard
2x 4gb G.Skill Ripjaw @2133mhz

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Hi Ervin,

1) Can you check and switch off XMP profiles in BIOS?
2) Also check your task manager if there is another task spiking when the slowdowns occur, I normally do this on a second monitor.
3) Run a full scan with a virus checker.
4) Check if you BIOS is running the SSD in IDE instead of AHCI.

hope this helps,
Gabor

ErvinBoyes

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, the task manager doesn't seem to show any high usage, unless I'm on a game or Premiere, but its never 100% RAM or CPU usage. I've ran my virus checkers and it didn't detect anything. I'll try the other 2 things now, thank you

ErvinBoyes

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016

So the XMP Profile was disabled, but I have no idea how to check if my ssd is running in Ide or ahci. Surely this doesn't matter if its nor what I use to boot though right? If it still does, should I try and see what my PC is like without it? It only has games on it so I'm not sure if its worth it

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ErvinBoyes : "Constant Crashes and Lag"