[SOLVED] PC lagging in windows

Sep 19, 2020
It is the best way to describe what is happening
typing isn't straight away maybe half a sec behind what im typing
closing browsers has a delay of 1-2 secs everything feels like it need to think about it just be for it reacts

games feel like they need to load a section then they play,then need to load the next section then they play but its like every 20-30 secs
the strange part is when your online and you get the delay your only lagging for that 1-2 secs the rest of the time your moving without any lag but it happens in single player games as well
i also find if i leave my pc for 30+ mins it will freeze and sometimes when i shut it down the screens will lock and the pc just hang
also sometimes one of my monitors will just turn off and to get it back on i need to reboot

my pc has 16gb of ram
rx 5700 xt
ryzen 2600

crucial ssd 500g gb about 50% full
temps all look ok

I also appear to be using a lot of ram on windows desktop without any browsers open or games running just in windows desktop ,drivers and anti virus Im using about 25% of my ram and I wouldn't say my pc has much running but when i look i have a huge amount of service host maybe about 100+ of them which looks odd all using 1-4 mb of memory

one other thing my pc is making a noise its either the power supply or the all in one cpu cooler it almost sounds like a fan is at 100% so Im thinking its the power supply
as I stopped all the other fans and the sound stayed
the best description is imagine a fan at 80%
and the only fan i haven't stopped is the power supply

thanks for any help in advance

Solution
What you are describing could be a very large number of things. I will try to list some obvious causes but some are easier than others.

1. Malware or messed up antivirus: In my experience most lag issues are due to someone getting a system infected with malware and it mucking up the whole thing. Often times even after removing it damage done will leave the machine in an ugly place. In most cases the best real fix is reinstalling the os, but there are a number of windows mechanisms to do some repairs such as sc but I have never had much luck. If you have an antivirus running uninstall it and see if the problem goes away. Sometimes an antivirus can get messed up and be more of a problem than it is fixing. While my guess is that...
Sep 19, 2020
super flower 750 w its around two and half years old
16 GB of T force
Ive always had kasperskys internet security
but since this problem started ive downloaded malwarebytes and avg and nothing is found

Like i said the pc looks like its working but then stalls for a sec or so and starts again i keep thinking if its a dodgy ssd
as i had a problem with this ssd before when it had a major crash and i had to reinstall windows

jasonf2

Distinguished
What you are describing could be a very large number of things. I will try to list some obvious causes but some are easier than others.

1. Malware or messed up antivirus: In my experience most lag issues are due to someone getting a system infected with malware and it mucking up the whole thing. Often times even after removing it damage done will leave the machine in an ugly place. In most cases the best real fix is reinstalling the os, but there are a number of windows mechanisms to do some repairs such as sc but I have never had much luck. If you have an antivirus running uninstall it and see if the problem goes away. Sometimes an antivirus can get messed up and be more of a problem than it is fixing. While my guess is that something here is the most probable issue reinstalling the OS is the last thing I would try from this list.

2. You mentioned a bad hard drive. Hard drive failures are systemic and if you ever have an issue with one you should replace it. Just reloading an OS is asking for further corruption down the line and you might be dealing with either poor performance or corruption now. I would replace the drive regardless and this would be the first thing I would try because you have a known issue.

3. Bad CPU cooler: Check your thermals on your cpu while in operation. If your cpu isn't exchanging heat properly it can reduce performance to a crawl. All in one water coolers have three primary components. The pump, radiator and radiator fans. Pumps can and do fail due to corrosion or mechanical failure and while everything looks like it is ok a pump failed AIO has grossly less heat exchange ability than a fan failed air cooler. Thermal runaway in my experience is a real problem when this happens and could be a cause.

There are a number of other issues that can cause this, but this is where I would start.

Solution
Sep 19, 2020

1. Malware or messed up antivirus: In my experience most lag issues are due to someone getting a system infected with malware and it mucking up the whole thing. Often times even after removing it damage done will leave the machine in an ugly place. In most cases the best real fix is reinstalling the os, but there are a number of windows mechanisms to do some repairs such as sc but I have never had much luck. If you have an antivirus running uninstall it and see if the problem goes away. Sometimes an antivirus can get messed up and be more of a problem than it is fixing. While my guess is that something here is the most probable issue reinstalling the OS is the last thing I would try from this list.

2. You mentioned a bad hard drive. Hard drive failures are systemic and if you ever have an issue with one you should replace it. Just reloading an OS is asking for further corruption down the line and you might be dealing with either poor performance or corruption now. I would replace the drive regardless and this would be the first thing I would try because you have a known issue.

3. Bad CPU cooler: Check your thermals on your cpu while in operation. If your cpu isn't exchanging heat properly it can reduce performance to a crawl. All in one water coolers have three primary components. The pump, radiator and radiator fans. Pumps can and do fail due to corrosion or mechanical failure and while everything looks like it is ok a pump failed AIO has grossly less heat exchange ability than a fan failed air cooler. Thermal runaway in my experience is a real problem when this happens and could be a cause.

There are a number of other issues that can cause this, but this is where I would start.

thanks for the reply
Ive ordered a brand new ssd I will make a new copy of windows on a new memory stick so this should eliminate a virus and a broken ssd

im not sure it is a cpu cooler but if i have to i will buy a new one
just when when im looking at my cpu its normally between 35C and 65C right now its 41C

jasonf2

Distinguished
thanks for the reply
Ive ordered a brand new ssd I will make a new copy of windows on a new memory stick so this should eliminate a virus and a broken ssd

im not sure it is a cpu cooler but if i have to i will buy a new one
just when when im looking at my cpu its normally between 35C and 65C right now its 41C
With those thermals you are fine. If it were running up into the 80C range then I would be saying it is a cooler.

Sep 19, 2020
k I've finally think I've fixed it
it turned out every single thing was a graphics driver problem
the turning off of a monitor and stuttering in some games once I installed the new driver it corrected straight away

Ive only installed the driver 20 mins ago and its completely removed all the stuttering and while it can take a while for a screen to crash the fact that its mentioned in the drivers as a problem with the old driver then it must be a known issue

but if it changes ill let you know

Oct 14, 2020
k I've finally think I've fixed it
it turned out every single thing was a graphics driver problem
the turning off of a monitor and stuttering in some games once I installed the new driver it corrected straight away

Ive only installed the driver 20 mins ago and its completely removed all the stuttering and while it can take a while for a screen to crash the fact that its mentioned in the drivers as a problem with the old driver then it must be a known issue

but if it changes ill let you know

I'm having similar issues as you, and I've reinstalled the drivers which didn't change anything. I'm wondering if its my HDD