PC Load Letter Error

I have a HP Laserjet 4 printer which keeps reporting
PC Load Letter error. I understand this is to do with a mismatch
between the papersize the printer expects to use and the size demanded by
the application on the PC. I have tried changing paper sizes on printer and
PC to match as much as possible but the error still re-occurs.

Anybody have any other ideas as to a resolution.

Thank you in advance,

Robbie

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:21:59 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "Robbie"
<robbie@misterb.co.uk> wrote:

>I have a HP Laserjet 4 printer which keeps reporting
>PC Load Letter error. I understand this is to do with a mismatch
>between the papersize the printer expects to use and the size demanded by
>the application on the PC. I have tried changing paper sizes on printer and
>PC to match as much as possible but the error still re-occurs.
>
>Anybody have any other ideas as to a resolution.

Could also be a mismatch as to the tray being specified. Say if you spec
the manual feed tray in the driver and don't have paper loaded in the MF
tray.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 06:27:07 -0400, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 07:21:59 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers "Robbie"
><robbie@misterb.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I have a HP Laserjet 4 printer which keeps reporting
>>PC Load Letter error. I understand this is to do with a mismatch
>>between the papersize the printer expects to use and the size demanded by
>>the application on the PC. I have tried changing paper sizes on printer and
>>PC to match as much as possible but the error still re-occurs.
>>
>>Anybody have any other ideas as to a resolution.
>
>Could also be a mismatch as to the tray being specified. Say if you spec
>the manual feed tray in the driver and don't have paper loaded in the MF
>tray.
>Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
>http://EdwardGRuf.com

This error could also be caused by a missing sensor flag on the
underside of the printer. Remove tray 2 and tilt the printer back to
see if the flag is there. Its a little black plastic thingy that
should be hanging down about 1/3 the way back and centered left to
right.

HtH

MrM

Alan

"Robbie" <robbie@misterb.co.uk> wrote in message news:<rGmOc.20$9S5.11@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net>...
> I have a HP Laserjet 4 printer which keeps reporting
> PC Load Letter error. I understand this is to do with a mismatch
> between the papersize the printer expects to use and the size demanded by
> the application on the PC. I have tried changing paper sizes on printer and
> PC to match as much as possible but the error still re-occurs.
>
> Anybody have any other ideas as to a resolution.

"PC Load Letter" means that the print job specified Letter size paper,
but the printer doesn't have any. Since you're in the UK, I expect you
have an A4 tray, so even if you put Letter paper in it would still
indicate A4. So you need to make sure you are sending A4 pages. First
of course set this in the Printer control panel. Unfortunately, a lot
of files -- Word and PDFs especially you get are created using Letter,
either because they're in the US, or because American software
defaults to that, so that setting persists when you open the file. You
just have to check each document's page setup. If this is happening
with Word, what you see if you open a blank new document and click on
"File|page setup" will tell you your default size. If it's Letter, you
can change this here to A4 and then make it the default for your new
documents. If a document you get is already Letter you can change that
here as well.

In Acrobat you can select "Fit to page" under print settings to resize
Letter to A4.

Later printers can be set to ignore this error, but unfortunately,
there doesn't seem to be a way to tell the LJ4 to just go ahead and
print regardless, you have to press "Continue" on the panel each time
you send it a Letter job.