Question PC locked up when attempting to use HWiNFO64 to monitor temps ?

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Hello All

I wanted to use HWiNFO64 to monitor system temps a bit this morning while was doing a Defender scan.
The only problem is the PC locked up totally, couldn't even get Task Manager open to end task, ended up using physical reset button on Tower

The BIOS on this iBuyPower prebuilt is February 2024 version, i haven't updated it as yet, debating if I should or not at this point as I'm being very cautious with the newer system thus far, plus i don't know too much on AMD side of things as yet--learning as much as i can though

it never locks up with any other programs though, so maybe it's a bug with HWiNFO64, i'm not really sure.

Hello All

I wanted to use HWiNFO64 to monitor system temps a bit this morning while was doing a Defender scan.
The only problem is the PC locked up totally, couldn't even get Task Manager open to end task, ended up using physical reset button on Tower

The BIOS on this iBuyPower prebuilt is February 2024 version, i haven't updated it as yet, debating if I should or not at this point as I'm being very cautious with the newer system thus far, plus i don't know too much on AMD side of things as yet--learning as much as i can though

it never locks up with any other programs though, so maybe it's a bug with HWiNFO64, i'm not really sure.
Hey there,

To me, this sounds like a software issue, rather than a bios issue. However, being an AMD system owner, you should get used to bios updates, and not be fearful of them. It's akin to updating a driver nowadays. It's made pretty easy to do.

So, just to be clear, HWinfo crashes the system with the scan only, or other times like playing games too? If it's only the former, then don't run the scan while monitoring.

Are all system drivers up to date? Chipset is important.

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Yes I select sensors only when opening. HWINFO64 opens for a split second, monitor goes black, and then to restart system only choose is reset button on case.

Gonna get used to the bios updates slowly, still learning on AMD systems though.

Otherwise everything else I ran runs fine as can be.

Like games, Nero burning rom, like Nero video, all my steam games, ea app games

Chipset Drivers are up to date

Left Off PBO Optimizer for now, originally had that activated as followed another forum to optimize AMD Ryzen 7 7700X for performance and cooling, that maybe where i screwed up already lol.

Bios update was successful

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Ohhh i didn't know about Ryzen Master, but now i do, will get that shortly here, here i was thinking like my older Intel systems

After successful bios update, only did the following
Made Sure Re-Sizebar was enabled and Above 4G Decoding
Expo set for Profile 1 like before, so my 5600mhz DDR5 RGB Ram runs as it was before lol

Left off this time PBO Optimizer as last time i turned it on following advice for comment section of a youtube video how to optimize a 7700X for balance of Power & Temps lol, might've been where i screwed up (as i wanted to keep CPU Temp under 85C with Tower Air Cooler)

((tad nervous on reopening Hardware Info 64 though if i wish to troubleshoot this issue further, guess i'm gonna have to soon and turn Debug mode on and get the report if it crashes again))

Reopened after the bios update and making sure the settings in bios was properly set as before

Now PC hasn't crashed, Hardware Info 64 open in the background and so far working fine it appears.

Fixed with the bios update? not entirely sure what the exact fix was lol, but its working, so im happy

Last edited:
A Windows Defender scan will definitely drive your computer to its maximum temperature levels. That may be the cause of your locking up. You can try to get ahead of it by manually setting all of your fans to their maximum level before starting the Defender scan.

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Oh ok, well even without Defender scan running, previously Hardware Info 64 was freezing as soon as opened it, well more than freezing--Hard locking the system (black screen) and was forced to use PC reset button.

Since bios update this morning, and readjustment of some settings

Have it running now, and appears to be working fine thus far---not entirely sure what fixed it, but i'll take it

As i typically like to do Defender and then Malwarebytes custom scan prior to doing my system backups each month, i don't bother with weekly scans anymore like i used to

Other files backed up to other external before monthly main backup if need be, or Onedrive if nothing critical file wise

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Spoke too Soon!--Ok not running Hardware Info 64 anymore lol...that time it suddenly black screened and auto restarted. Cause unknown--But i do have the Debug log now! so adds that to Hardware info forum post

Hope to in early August purchase 2nd M.2 NVMe to be Game NVMe, and do a clean install of Windows 11 Pro, and hopefully all stable after that lol. It usually is at least other days previously was perfectly stable for hours as long as i wasn't running HWinfo64

Last edited: