PC Locking/Freezing During Certain Games

tjcal10

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017
As stated above, my computer has recently started locking/freezing during certain games. It locks during World of Warcraft as well as PUBG even when the graphic settings are turned to their lowest.

By locking and freezing, I mean that the picture on the screen freezes and I cannot alt-tab or ctrl-alt-del out, I must perform a hard reset.

I've tried so much that I don't know what to do next. I have run memtest, reinstalled windows 10, closed start up programs, and some other smaller troubleshooting tips I found on these forums. Here is some information:

Windows 10
Processor: AMD FX 9590 4.7GHz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F3, 5/28/2015
RAM: 8 GB
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Disk Drives: SanDisk SDSS DP 128gb
Toshiba 1TB HDD

I couldn't find any applicable errors in the event viewer during the freezing.

Thank you so much for any responses in advance!

Solution
run crystaldiskinfo.exe and find the firmware version for your SSD
also look at the smart info for the drive. Some of these drives can fill up and can cause delays when the firmware has to move bad blocks around. Make sure you have plenty of free space on the SSD, you should also boot into bios and leave the machine powered on so the SSD can run its firmware garbage collection.
The SSD can cause up to 30 second delays without crashing the system.

be sure you also update the driver from the motherboard vendors website.
old Ethernet drivers can slow down virus scanners and graphic drivers if you have NVidia shadowplay running.
the motherboard sound drivers that shipped with windows 10 can corrupt GPU sound drivers. It is hard to tell...

tjcal10

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017

Thank you for the reply!

I have a "Rocksoul" 800w

I have 3 case fans inside and Asetek liquid cooling for the processor.

Sound like a 1 out of 3 problem

1. Are the pump / fans running on the AIO cooler?

2. Your cpu is overheating (use HWMonitor and look at your temps at idle and when you put load on it) (reason for point 1.)

3. Your PSU is dying. Borrow or get a new one just to test and see if your system freeze.

run crystaldiskinfo.exe and find the firmware version for your SSD
also look at the smart info for the drive. Some of these drives can fill up and can cause delays when the firmware has to move bad blocks around. Make sure you have plenty of free space on the SSD, you should also boot into bios and leave the machine powered on so the SSD can run its firmware garbage collection.
The SSD can cause up to 30 second delays without crashing the system.

be sure you also update the driver from the motherboard vendors website.
old Ethernet drivers can slow down virus scanners and graphic drivers if you have NVidia shadowplay running.
the motherboard sound drivers that shipped with windows 10 can corrupt GPU sound drivers. It is hard to tell if you don't get sound from your monitor via a HDMI cable. most motherboard sound drivers were updated right after windows 10 shipped.

even USB devices might need to have firmware updates (mice) the BIOS should be updated as well as the various usb drivers. newer machines run the USB subsystems thru the PCI/e port and now can mess up GPU drivers that share the same PCI/e bus. Nothing is slower than a gpu waiting on a usb driver before it can respond. (generally this happens when people update graphics cards but fail to reset the BIOS to defaults after they put the new GPU in)

Solution

tjcal10

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017

Thank you for your reply. I am in the process of testing the power supply. I needed a friend to help me with this before I could try since I have no experience with it.