[SOLVED] PC locks up - Starts as a soft lock and slowly lose total control

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
Over the past few weeks my PC has gotten to where it will randomly (more often when idle) lock itself up. I notice because any RGB elements that are controlled are turned off. When it happens I cannot open or close programs, but I can still use any that are open. Eventually no program will respond, then later still I lose control of peripherals. Once it "begins" the only way to shut down or restart my PC is by cutting power, windows will close programs but not actually shut down.

Windows 10
RTX 3080 oc'd
i7-5820k oc'd
NZXT c850W PSU
MSI SLI Plus x-99a motherboard
Kingston 120 GB SSD
Samsun 512 GB SSD
2 Tb WD HDD

All drives are healthy, all CPU / GPU temps are fine.

I reduced my CPU overclock and it seemed to lengthen time between lock ups, but it quickly became more frequent again, I suppose it could be CPU degradation, would be a big help if anyone could confirm, or if this was a placebo.

Windows event viewer is somewhat inconclusive. Last event before the last lockup was *Failed to initialize LanternRock SDK: 0x00040201. Reason: S_NO_OPTIN (telemetry not opted-in) * but I cannot find anything on google about that.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
cpu is troublesome part of PC, we sort of checked the other normal suspects.

i tried to play an ARPG made in 2010 on my 4k screen and it was too small. That and to account for larger screen drawing size, i could see way more of surrounding area at any time, meaning you couldn't run off screen to avoid things as you would just run into another group.

I think we done here. Unless it starts throwing BSOD and then we might have something to work with.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
look at this before changing - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665

3 things can happen if you move drives over like that.
  1. it works fine
  2. it works but has strange problems
  3. it doesn't work at all.
Its normally best to clean install on new hardware as then you get all new drivers and benefit of newer hardware. Might suck but if you know you have to start again, you can make lists of programs you use, any passwords you may need.

ideally you have 2 drives in PC, you can copy anything you want to move onto other drive and put it in new build.
Okay, I gotcha thanks. I feel this is the thing i'm most ignorant of when it comes to PCs, so I suppose it's a good chance to learn.

That last line, you mean essentially move anything on the C: drive to another? C: being windows... does reinstalling windows only affect the C: drive?

Colif

Win 11 Master
That last line, you mean essentially move anything on the C: drive to another? C: being windows... does reinstalling windows only affect the C: drive?

Yes. Installs only touch C drive. Anything on other hdd will be left there. Windows however won't know the info is there so no point installing programs on 2nd hdd as they won't work on new PC.

Only save data like documents, music, pictures, movies.. things you don't want to make again or lose.

When you get new PC, only have the ssd/nvme you want windows in PC when you install windows.
After it boots fine a few times, then attach the 2nd hdd and use the info from before.

Savage One

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
look at this before changing - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665

3 things can happen if you move drives over like that.
  1. it works fine
  2. it works but has strange problems
  3. it doesn't work at all.
Its normally best to clean install on new hardware as then you get all new drivers and benefit of newer hardware. Might suck but if you know you have to start again, you can make lists of programs you use, any passwords you may need.

ideally you have 2 drives in PC, you can copy anything you want to move onto other drive and put it in new build.
Well dude, last message I'll send, writing this from my PC with a new motherboard and processor :) Windows worked without a hitch. Thanks for all of your help, couldn't be more grateful. Cheers, my man.