Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition 4.0GHz
Graphics Card - Asus ATI HD 7770 2GB GDDR5
Memory - G.Skill RipjawsX 8 GB DDR3 1600MHz
Motherboard - Asus M5A97 R2.0
Power Supply - Antec VP650P 650W
Processor Cooler - Deepcool Gammaxx 400

My system is 2 years old, I bought the Asus motherboard this month cause the old one died. After installing the new board the PC worked fine for 10 days, today the PC suddenly shut down with no standby power on board, LEDs were off. After turning the power on/off directly from the wall switch the board had standby power, I turned on the PC, it booted fine but as soon as windows started it shut down again.

I re-installed every component but same results.

Now I hope its a power supply issue.

Look if there are any bent pins on your motherboard socket, also what are your CPU and GPU temp. If you have 2 stick of ram try booting with just want if there is no change try just the other one. Also try a paper clip test for PSU.

Report back with results

Gaurav Shekhawat

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Both CPU and GPU have 38 C temperature. I can't stay in BIOS for long, within a minute PC is shutting down with no standby power. I tried the paper clip test, the fan is spinning. Yeah I checked the motherboard, there are no bent pins.

If you have 2 x 4gb ram stick try them one by one, if that doesnt work check if all cable are connected the most important ones 24-pin for motherboard, 8-pin for CPU, and cables for GPU.

Did you install the motherboard standoffs in correct places ? maybe you tightened motherboard screws a bit too much and the motherboard i warping try to loosen them up a bit, same for the Aftermarket CPU cooler if you got one try to loosen the screws a bit.

IF it still doesnt work my only conclusion is that your motherboard is damaged so return it. (if you still have the old motherboard from 10days ago try it if the components work with that motherboard)

Gaurav Shekhawat

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
I have single stick but I tried different slots and re-installed everything. The screws are not over tightened. I don't have the old motherboard cause it completely died that's why I bought a new one. I am looking to try a new power supply, if that does not works, I will sure go for replacement.

Thanks anyways, so you think its the motherboard.

Yes if PSU passed paper clip test, its most likely the motherboard but it might be a PSU, so ask your friends if the loan you a motherboard or a PSU so you can see if it works. If you cant borrow anyting i would return the motherboard because after 10days it needs to be under warranty so you will get replacment for free and when you get a new board try if it works if it still doesnt work buy a new PSU.

i think this would be right path, why buy new PSU when you are not 100% sure it PSU fault.

What good is the paper clip test when we already know the PSU powers up? Manual testing of the PSU is what is necessary, using a multimeter, if you want to test the PSU. Paperclip test only tells you if the PSU even turns on at all. I'd guess PSU as well, and if you live in an area where brownouts or power surges are common this unit is highly prone as it has no MOVs to help protect the unit.

You may actually have not even had a bad motherboard if the PSU is troubled. Or if there was a problem with the motherboard it could have been a result of a problem with the PSU, or visa versa.

Why not do a paper clip tets, there was a chance that his PSU would fail after 30 sec even under minimal load, and he would got definitive answer, that his PSU is faulty

The paper clip test doesn't even work for every PSU model. Some models don't even kick the fan on until the temperature reaches a specific predetermined reading. It's a good starting point for some models that won't power up at all, but not of much use for systems that start and then shut down. I guess if you want to leave it running a while that way to see if it shuts down, it's ok, but considering the complications that can happen with a seriously faulty power supply I wouldn't recommend leaving one that's questionable running for very long without having some idea of what it's actually doing by measuring the readings. Just my take I guess.