PC loses power randomly. Is it the CPU?

DerekMise

Reputable
May 30, 2015
First of all, since I'm new to this forum and community, greetings! I browse these threads frequently to help with my PC questions, and find it very helpful. Hopefully I can get some help with the current problem I am having.

I have a home PC with a severe problem. I use it for basic home use such as web browsing, watching videos, simple photo editing, and gaming. Several weeks ago it started to blue screen at random times. It was frequently while playing a demanding game, however it has happened when just browsing the Internet as well. I had it tested by a local PC repair place with a free diagnostic. They told me the hard drive, RAM, and PSU checked out as good. They told me it must have been some strange malware, gave me some anti-malware protection, and send me on my way after collecting payment for their "hard" work.

I brought my PC home and powered it on. It booted up fine, however after about 5-10 minutes, the machine lost all power. I waited a moment to see if it would power itself back on, but it did not. I started to think it must be a hardware problem. My friends who are much more informed about these things thought it would be hardware as well. I started by changing out the PSU with an old one I had lying around, and also removed my GPU. The machine still lost power. Because the PC repair place told me it wasn't the hard drive, I figured it must be my mobo. I ordered a new one, and anxiously waited for its arrival. Put it all together only to find the same problem. Well, at this point I was thinking maybe there is still some bad software on it, so I booted up Windows in safe mode, and again it lost power. I thought it must be a hardware problem at this point, and all that remains is the CPU.

I asked a few more of my friends who have had jobs with PC repair, and I was told it could still be a problem with the hard drive. This friend told me it wouldn't make sense for the CPU to do that. So I replaced my HDD with a new SDD. I installed Windows successfully, installed my anti-virus software, and began the process of installing various programs. I didn't want to clone my HDD to the SDD. I wanted to start fresh. Everything was going great for about 3 hours, and all of the sudden, the problem returned. I still have my brand new mobo in there with my SDD. The only thing I have not personally tested is the RAM and the CPU.

So with all that information, what could possibly be the problem? For some reason I feel it is not the RAM, but I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards the CPU, but is there something I am missing?

Here are my system specs:

Mobo: ASRock LGA1155 - Intel Z75
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.3GHz
HDD (previous): Western Digital AV-GP WD10EURX 1TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
SDD (current): Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760
PSU: EVGA 600B 80PLUS Bronze Certified
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-pin

Your help and comments are much appreciated!

DerekMise

Reputable
May 30, 2015

Thank you so much! As soon as I downloaded speccy I noticed my CPU running at 97 degrees C. I don't know much about appropriate operating temperatures, but I can't imagine this is a good thing. It must be the CPU in that case, right?

DerekMise

Reputable
May 30, 2015

Thanks! I will try that before buying a new CPU.