Question PC losing performance after a few hours turned on

Mar 18, 2020
Hey There!

Ive been having a problem over the past few months where my PC starts off running perfectly fine, actually really well with most games on good graphics well over 100FPS

but after being on a number of hours, games will start to lag, freeze every so often, my mouse will freeze, sometimes things as simple as twitter or youtube will freeze

my PC is relatively new, being built just before the release of Ryzen 3rd Gen, i was thinking ram might be the problem but idk

(even typing this my pc froze a few times

My specs are

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: Asus Strix Gaming 2060 OC
Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 4
RAM: 16GB DDR4 T-GROUP VULCAN 1064Mhz
PSU: Corsair VS650 650 W Active PFC 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply Unit - Black
Motherboard: Asus Prime B350-PLUS

Sounds like a thermal problem, although it's odd that it takes hours for it to occur.

Please monitor CPU & GPU temps (under load) and report back.
HWMonitor or HWInfo64 are good programs to use.
I'm thinking thermal as well, but more dealing with the PSU. That is only a 30C PSU so it could take that long for the temp in the case to build up enough to affect it.

What case do you have and have you added any fans that weren't in there by default?

Well for the first part, under full 100% load my CPU temp maxes out at 72C with no thermal throttling staying at 3.87Ghz

Case: Corsair SPEC-DELTA Carbide Series, RGB Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Case - Black

I have 3 red fans at the front and 1 fan on the back, im pretty sure its just the base fans
My gut feeling is that it takes an hour or two for your internal case temp to get up to 30C+ at the bottom, but not warm enough to trigger it to turn off. Once you hit the rated max temp for your PSU it is not going to be able to power things as well. The lack of then reliable power distribution will mean performance will change by the second. One second you PSU is getting the full required wattage, the next it is getting less wattage which will lower performance.

How the hell is your RAM running at 1064Mhz? That is too slow. Have you checked if your XMP profile is running?

Edit: What speed is your RAM running at? Check your XMP settings in BIOS. Ideally Ryzen needs 3000Mhz to really come into element but 2666 is the bare minimum for it.

Last edited:
How the hell is your RAM running at 1064Mhz? That is too slow. Have you checked if your XMP profile is running?

Edit: What speed is your RAM running at? Check your XMP settings in BIOS. Ideally Ryzen needs 3000Mhz to really come into element but 2666 is the bare minimum for it.
1064MHz would work out to DDR4-2133MHz. While slower than ideal, that is what a lot of 1st Gen Ryzen ran at with all 4 memory slots filled. That being said, RAM speed would be noticeable right away for performance drops.

Mar 18, 2020
Ok so i wanted to add an update here with things i have tried since then and how they have effected things

so RAM, it was running at reduced speed and i had to fix it inmy BIOS, and now its running at 1200Mhz dual channel (I have 2400mhz ram, yes 3000+ would be better but 2400 should still work)

I have since changed my Boot Drive to a WD Blue 500gb NVMe SSD
I have changed my PSU to a 2015 CX750
I have (after both of these) tried swapping out my RTX2060 OC for my old GTX 960
I have ran MemTest64 (No problems found)
I have updated my BIOS to the most recent version 5407
Reinstalled my motherboard, cpu and graphics drivers
Watched temps at all times during GTA (which kept freezing constantly) and they never went above 44C

Im worried that the problem is either the Motherboard or the CPU at this point but i still suck at PCs