[SOLVED] Pc make one long beep instead short one.

Mar 25, 2020
Hi, my mobo is Gigabyte h61m-s2p-r3 which have 2 port usb 2.0 and 2 port usb 3.0. I've been using this pc for a years. Problem is starting yesterday I notice my pc make a long 2 second beep instead a short one like usual, but my pc just start like normal no issues whatsoever, only the beep sound worry me, like something is wrong. After I investigated it, turn out if I put my keyboard and mouse (usb wired) in both of usb 3.0 port the beep sound is shorter like it used to be and usb port 2.0 give a long beep one (2 sec), I'm using usb 2.0 port from a long time for keyboard and mouse, never had this issue. Although my pc is working as intended, should I worry about using usb 2.0 port ?
What's gone wrong actually ?

Last edited:
Solution
I can't think of any way that alone would damage the PC. Btw, when you reseated the cmos battery, did you momentarily short the (+) and (-) contacts in the batery holder? Or short the CLR_CMOS pins? It may require that to fully clear the cmos memory. (page 15 in the manual)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That doesn't sound like a normal beep code; one long beep. Is there an updated BIOS available. It might just be a bug in an older BIOS.
Btw, unless your keyboard and mouse can actually benefit for USB3.0 for some reason (?), there's no harm in using the USB2.0 ports. Free up the 3.0 ports for 3.0 devices.

Mar 25, 2020
That doesn't sound like a normal beep code; one long beep. Is there an updated BIOS available. It might just be a bug in an older BIOS.
Btw, unless your keyboard and mouse can actually benefit for USB3.0 for some reason (?), there's no harm in using the USB2.0 ports. Free up the 3.0 ports for 3.0 devices.
Updated my bios the problem is still persists. After a few tries I found the problem, it's the keyboard. If I plug the keyboard in 2.0 motherboard make a long beep but not if I put it in 3.0. how can it possible ?
It's brand new keyboard, bought it about 3 weeks ago, but no problems at first until this happen.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
OK, not high end. Just a quirk with that model USB KB. Just for sake of curiosity, do you have any other USB KB you can try on the system?

I don't think there's anything wrong with the motherboard or the rest of your system; just the KB. Or some setting you may have changed in BIOS?

Mar 25, 2020
Already reseat cmos battery, so BIOS settings should be default. I don't have spare usb kb, only PS/2 kb which is working normally when I test it. Even I overload 2.0 usb port by connecting 4 port usb hub and plug in 2 controller, powered external hdd and flash drive, beep is short like it used to be, not until I plug the keyboard to 2.0 usb port and beep is longer again. So, if I continue using this kb is there a chance I'm gonna broke something except the kb itself ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I can't think of any way that alone would damage the PC. Btw, when you reseated the cmos battery, did you momentarily short the (+) and (-) contacts in the batery holder? Or short the CLR_CMOS pins? It may require that to fully clear the cmos memory. (page 15 in the manual)

Solution
Mar 25, 2020
Ok, using screwdriver to short the battery holder, still long beep. If the keyboard is safe to use I'll use it for a time being, can't get another one though because ongoing pandemic. Anyway, thank you very much for your guidance. Stay safe out there !