Question PC making loud growling fan? noise after waking up.

ccskk

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
Just recently when I've been waking my PC from sleep mode it's made this reallly loud growling motor-like fan noise. I can't figure out where it's coming from, but I opened up my pc while it was happening and it seems to be coming from the back of the case, so that rules out the hard drive(which is at the front of the case). The only fans running when the noise is being made that I could see was the CPU and case fan. I'm not sure if the PSU has a fan or not because I can't see it. The GPU's fan wasn't running while the noise was being made. I think the most likely candidates for the noise are the case fan or the PSU based on where the sound dsounds like it's coming from, but CPU fan could possibly be a contender because it's near enough to the sound source. GPU could be a contender if it can make that noise without fans spinning.

The noise starts intially when I wake up my computer after sleeping. It takes several restarts to make it go away. After restarting the noise starts immediately, even before the computer turning on beep and the bios option shows up. I found that the noise is more likely to not start after a restart if I turn the power off to the PC between restarts, but this is not always the case it sometimes still starts. I feel like I am slowly having to do more and more restarts to get it to stop so I am worried.

I've checked RPM readings in the bios etc when the noise is and isn't there. The CPU fan has been consistant 1200-1300 both when the noise is there and isn't there. I noticed the case fan was 800 rpm when the PC was silent, and 200 rpm or 0 rpm when the noise was there, however I didn't check this many times so I don't know how reliable that information is.

At first when the fan noise started, I had slept the PC while having an emulator running (bluestacks) and wondered if that was related, but the last time I made sure to close the emulator and it still happened.

Here is a recording of the noise. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cumRNCnQPHCHjXq7L62xtVtxOeTYnoTv/view?usp=sharing

Not really sure what can be causing this or what troubleshooting steps to take next, any help is appreciated.

Edit: PC specs 2 posts down below

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
All I can see is darkness. This is one of those threads where we will need to know your system specs. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Also, how old is your platform and your PSU? Are you sure you located the sound to come from the back of the case? If so, back as in the back side of the motherboard or the rear end of the case?

ccskk

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
All I can see is darkness. This is one of those threads where we will need to know your system specs. Please include/list your specs like so:

Also, how old is your platform and your PSU? Are you sure you located the sound to come from the back of the case? If so, back as in the back side of the motherboard or the rear end of the case?

It was a sound recording, there was nothing to see. I just used mp4 because I couldn't find a sound recorder on my phone.

The PC and components are just under 4 years old with the exception of the motherboard which was purchased last year and the crucial ssd.

About the location, I cant be sure because cases echo around but it sounded like the rear end of the case.

CPU:
Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz

Motherboard:
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H110M-A/M.2 (LGA1151)

Ram:
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1063MHz (14-14-14-35)

SSD/HDD:
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 250GB (SSD) 39 °C
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM006-2DM164 (SATA) 27 °C
894GB Crucial CT960BX500SSD1 (SSD) 21 °C

GPU:
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (Gigabyte)

PSU:
Corsair CS550M

ccskk

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
Update: I really need help with this... the problem is getting worse and sometimes the fan noise now starts after a few seconds on the PC being on without a fan noise.

I don't think the emulator is related because I haven't launched it in a few days. Sleeping the pc also stops the noise, but when turning the PC on or waking it there seems to be an 80% chance the noise will start and I have to keep restarting or sleeping the pc until it finally doesn't start.