PC Market Shrinks, People Want More Tablets

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
It is not about how silly it cold look, but of course you may have your opinion. This is about what people needs or wants and what the PC industry needs to provide. I need a powerful machine too and I don't see myself using a tablet for production in ten years from now but the fact is desktops are becoming less popular, and more compact computer devices are starting to show its potential to users who need limited processing power.

The big investments in the industry are going to shift to produce these compact computers and although I don't think desktops are easily replaceable in the next decade they may start to cost more, way more. PC cost decreased in recent years, but what is going to happen if this trend gets to establish the pace for mass production?

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]You people do understand that pre-built computers constitute 80%+ of the PC market worldwide right?..lol Not real PC users? What a dumb statement...unreal.[/citation]

you underestimate: Self built (or built-for-friend) constitutes something like *2* percent of the market.

randomizer

Champion

Apple generally sets trends, so I'm going to go with option 2. Tablets are more flexible in use than netbooks.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Not that big decline considering the Sandy bridge sata bug that pretty much halted performance PC sales during the quarter, omg the PC is doomed /end sarcasm!

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]"It is quite apparent that Apple has found a way to extend its product line with the iPad, which does not affect its own product sales, but apparently hurts traditional PC vendors."[/citation]

If a brand-new iPad fell in my lap right now, I'd be posting it for sale on eBay.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
So the news is that PC sales didn't go down. Netbook sales were converted to tablet sales, which makes sense. Way to use the headline to drive fear mongering and page views.

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Saying that tablets are hurting the PC market is like saying scooters are hurting the car market. They are supplementary items to PCs, not replacements. Tablets are also much cheaper than notebooks and often heavily discounted with contractual agreements. Scooters perform the same function as car, but they definitely not in the same bracket. It is not wise to compare them because I would be willing to bet that those with a tablet also have a PC.

greliu

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I don't want to own a tablet or own one currently, however, how do we all know that this is just a "flash in the pan"? I know a lot of people that would much rather own a tablet than a tradition PC. Now, granted they can't do the same things, but a lot of people just want to check emails, pay bills, and for some damn reason check FB every 5 seconds. Tablets offer that. So, who's to say this is going to die within 2-4 years?

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]thrasher32[/nom]I think tablets are just a flash in the pan. I mean, unless you travel a lot or are a full-time student, what good are they?[/citation]

I've finally got my iPad 2 a few days ago and since then I've hardly touched my laptop when I'm at home.

Reading stuff on the web, reading email, reading documents for university, watching a youtube video or a episode from a TV series (streamed from my home theatre PC).... it's all just much MUCH more comfortable while sitting on the sofa or lying in bed with a tablet.

I think the only reason why it can't replace my laptop is that I need some software development tools for university. If it weren't for that I'd be happy with just a desktop PC and a tablet. (and a home theatre PC :D )

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
There is a decline in pre-built custom built is what i do for a living and it is on the rise most pre-built don't meet specs of heavy gamers that is where the market is.

I have been selling more custom gaming rigs tan pre-builds by a large market it is shifting.
Also there is a saturation point where most of the population already own a pc's and don't want to upgrade, i also see quite a few of those running old systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.