PC monitor going black when gaming but PC still running.

Nathan123

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
Recently when playing Fortnite my screen will suddenly go black and say no signal, but my PC fan is still going.This has happened many times during Fortnite and i thought it was a Fortnite issue but it also just happened in BF4.

Each time this occurs I am forced to switch off the switch on my psu and restart my PC multiple times. One interesting thing that I have noticed once is that after one restart I could plug my hdmi cable into the mobo HDMI port and get a signal, but it was without the Nvidia fps overlay. After another restart the GPU HDMI port started working again.

I cleaned the dust out of my PC and left the front cover of the case open and played games while using afterburner, and although the issue did not occur with Fortnite running on medium settings, the GPU temps were around 72 Celsius even with the case open.

I checked the event viewer and found that the crashes were called kernel power failure event ID 41, which suggests a psu issue, but I suspect it is a GPU issue. My GPU is a gtx 1070, so it really shouldn't be running that hot with the case open and Fortnite on medium settings.

I should be able to get my GPU replaced under warranty if it is the issue, but i thought I'd check with people who know more about this than I do first. All help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7‑6700K
Ram: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA
PSU: EVGA 650 Watt

Nathan123

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015

Ok thanks. So does that mean it’s probably a GPU issue?

Nathan123

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
I haven't been on Tom's hardware in a while but the issue is still happening. I am able to temporarily fix it by blowing dust out of my PC but it always ends up happening again within a few weeks. Lowering graphics settings in games helps too. I am thinking about buying a new psu but i just want to hear if anyone has any other ideas first.