Question PC must be completely power cycled in order to boot- PSU problem?

Doomish

Reputable
Jul 23, 2016
Hi there. Recently I've been having a strange issue with my computer and I'm wondering if the PSU might be the culprit. Basically, my computer doesn't even post unless I cut the power each time I turn it off. I hit the power button, the fans and hard drives spin up and some of the peripherals light up, then nothing. It just power cycles forever without even posting until the BIOS resets after try #5 or 6. To make my computer turn on all the way I have to flick the PSU's power switch to turn it off and then back on, then hit the power button.

Everything works just fine once it gets going. Seemingly no voltage problems under load or anything like that. So that leads me to wonder what could be causing this to happen. This is the one area of computing I know nothing about. My power supply is a Corsair RM850x, and it's not very old at all. It definitely has enough headroom even for my pretty power-hungry PC. Is it going bad, or could something else be the problem such as the motherboard or even a hard drive? Heck, could the wall socket I have it plugged into be the issue? For reference, here are the rest of my parts:

• Corsair RM850x
  • ASRock x470 Taichi
  • Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti
  • AMD Ryzen 3700x
  • 2x16 DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM

Last edited: