Question Pc needs multiple boots to start

Oct 9, 2024
Hi everyone, I've been having some weird issues with my PC lately.

Once I boot my pc, it starts normally but after a while (1-5 minutes) the screen goes black and a forces me to shut it down using the case's button.

After I boot it again, only the keyboard shows some light (not the usual but the default one) and it stays like that until it restarts by itself (or needs to be forced to). On the motherboard, the VGA light turns on after doing the usual check.

Sometimes it seems like it will boot, the keyboard and mouse lights start as usual but it suddenly shutsdown and restarts itself.

It takes a while for it to work normally but once it starts, the computer works fine even while playing demanding

I'll list my specs below:

* CPU: i5-12600
* GPU: Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB GDDR6 Power Color Red Devil
* SSD: KIOXIA Exceria 1TB NVMe
* RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
* Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M Mortar DDR
* PSU: MSI MPG A850GF 850W

What I've done so far:

* Flash BIOS
* Update GPU drivers
* Reseat RAM
* Swapped the eletric outlet (had the PC connected to an extension cord, figured it could be it)

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
Hi everyone, I've been having some weird issues with my PC lately.

Once I boot my pc, it starts normally but after a while (1-5 minutes) the screen goes black and a forces me to shut it down using the case's button.

After I boot it again, only the keyboard shows some light (not the usual but the default one) and it stays like that until it restarts by itself (or needs to be forced to). On the motherboard, the VGA light turns on after doing the usual check.

Sometimes it seems like it will boot, the keyboard and mouse lights start as usual but it suddenly shutsdown and restarts itself.

It takes a while for it to work normally but once it starts, the computer works fine even while playing demanding

I'll list my specs below:

* CPU: i5-12600
* GPU: Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB GDDR6 Power Color Red Devil
* SSD: KIOXIA Exceria 1TB NVMe
* RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
* Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M Mortar DDR
* PSU: MSI MPG A850GF 850W

What I've done so far:

* Flash BIOS
* Update GPU drivers
* Reseat RAM
* Swapped the eletric outlet (had the PC connected to an extension cord, figured it could be it)

try with another power supply

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
•Inaccurate power ok signal
•Moderate response to sudden loads
•Low power factor
•Less than 70% efficiency at 2% load
•Noisy when strained
•Not so efficient 5VSB line

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
A couple of quick things to try or check.

Since you CPU has onboard graphics, remove the 6700XT and plug into the motherboard directly. See if the system will boot up. If it will be could suggest that either the PSU is having an issue, or that the graphics card was the issue.

If you have a few extra dollars pick up one of the cheapo power supply testers on Amazon. Now, they are FAR from being accurate enough to entirely rule out some issues, if it shows a bad rail voltage or otherwise at least you know it is bad before spending to replace the power supply you have.

In the case that you need to test any hardware, do you have another system available or friend(s) with a system they don't mind checking things like that GPU, for instance?

edit- it also may be worthwhile to take the components out of the case and breadboard it on the motherboard box and kitchen table. Make sure all connections are properly seated, that none of the pins pushed out of a connector. Also, be sure your standoffs are all in the right place, no metal shavings or anything.