Question Pc no longer powers on (no display or fan movement) after removing gpu and putting it back in

rhkrhk1234

Commendable
Oct 14, 2020
Hi,
I'm not sure what the issue could be here. All cables are in place and the gpu seems seated correctly, though even without it installed the pc wont power on. I have tried resetting the CMOS battery and resesting my cpu and 24 pin cable, though it hasn't worked. Could this be an issue with my motherboard or psu somehow being destroyed when removing my gpu?

rhkrhk1234

Commendable
Oct 14, 2020
Please list your full system specs. Is this a new build you built yourself or a pre-build?
Ryzen 5 5600

RTX 3060 MSI Venus 12G

A320M HDV R4.0 Motherboard

Corsair CV550 550W PSU

This is a newish build I've done myself, I've had the motherboard and psu for about 3 years, but the cpu and gpu are a few weeks old now. Both were fine until today

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Hi,
I'm not sure what the issue could be here. All cables are in place and the gpu seems seated correctly, though even without it installed the pc wont power on. I have tried resetting the CMOS battery and resesting my cpu and 24 pin cable, though it hasn't worked. Could this be an issue with my motherboard or psu somehow being destroyed when removing my gpu?
Did you follow proper ESD procedure when reseating the GPU (ie use an ESD strap connected to some kind of earth ground)?

rhkrhk1234

Commendable
Oct 14, 2020
Did you follow proper ESD procedure when reseating the GPU (ie use an ESD strap connected to some kind of earth ground)?
Unfortunately I did not, I can't confirm if I actually switched off the power supply or not. Could this risk my GPU being broken? Or just the motherboard. I'm leaning more towards the motherboard as the pc wont operate regardless of whether it has a GPU, but for all I know it could be both. I'll try to do the paperclip test tomorrow to see if my PSU is at fault too.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Unfortunately I did not, I can't confirm if I actually switched off the power supply or not. Could this risk my GPU being broken? Or just the motherboard. I'm leaning more towards the motherboard as the pc wont operate regardless of whether it has a GPU, but for all I know it could be both. I'll try to do the paperclip test tomorrow to see if my PSU is at fault too.
Yes, static electricity can fry the GPU, plus the motherboard, plus almost anything else in the system.

Switching off the power supply does nothing to abate static electricity. What you need is an ESD strap attached to you, and some kind of earth ground. Easiest way to do it is.

1. Keep the PC plugged in but turn off the power supply itself (it has a switch you can shut off).

2. Connect an ESD strap to both you and the case of the PC.

As far as replacement, I would start with the motherboard and work from there.

I wish you good luck. Just be glad only money is getting harmed in the process.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Paperclip test can only confirm a completely dead PSU.

Swapping out the PSU is the only thing that makes sense as the next step. This was always a completely inappropriate PSU to ever be using with an RTX 3060, so given that it should have been replaced under any and all circumstances, it's a real no-brainer to do this properly now while crossing your fingers that late is better than never in this case.

Reactions: helper800

rhkrhk1234

Commendable
Oct 14, 2020
Yes, static electricity can fry the GPU, plus the motherboard, plus almost anything else in the system.

Switching off the power supply does nothing to abate static electricity. What you need is an ESD strap attached to you, and some kind of earth ground. Easiest way to do it is.

1. Keep the PC plugged in but turn off the power supply itself (it has a switch you can shut off).

2. Connect an ESD strap to both you and the case of the PC.

As far as replacement, I would start with the motherboard and work from there.

I wish you good luck. Just be glad only money is getting harmed in the process.
Thank you for the advice. I'm certain at this point some damage has occurred in the system, I still have my old gpu and cpu so the worst case scenario is I'll be back to square one, though still able to sell my old things for parts. Hopefully luck is on my side and only the motherboard is dead. Be a while until I was but I'll get there eventually, should be glad that I'm okay too. Thanks again

rhkrhk1234

Commendable
Oct 14, 2020
Paperclip test can only confirm a completely dead PSU.

Swapping out the PSU is the only thing that makes sense as the next step. This was always a completely inappropriate PSU to ever be using with an RTX 3060, so given that it should have been replaced under any and all circumstances, it's a real no-brainer to do this properly now while crossing your fingers that late is better than never in this case.
Damn I thought my PSU could supply enough power, otherwise I would have gotten a new one. I'll see to get a 700w one before I see if my GPU is still functioning

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Damn I thought my PSU could supply enough power, otherwise I would have gotten a new one. I'll see to get a 700w one before I see if my GPU is still functioning

The problem isn't insufficient wattage but insufficient quality. The problem with the PSU is mediocre quality, inexpensive components because the PSU is targeted at people with very basic machines, not people with $500 GPUs.

Reactions: helper800
D

Deleted member 2947362

In 30 years of building PC's which must be in the hundreds over my time, I have never ever worn or had an issue due to not wearing a ESD strap.

I can only imagine these people must be dressing in a fully nylon suit while rubbing their nylon socks and every other appendage that's wrapped in nylon on a nylon carpet to have such bad luck lol

In 30 years of building PC's which must be in the hundreds over my time, I have never ever worn or had an issue due to not wearing a ESD strap.

I can only imagine these people must be dressing in a fully nylon suit while rubbing their nylon socks and every other appendage that's wrapped in nylon on a nylon carpet to have such bad luck lol
The odds of ESD these days particularly with the way PCBs are built with grounds everywhere is near zero. LTT and Electroboom did a video simulating worse case ESD and they couldn't kill anything even with static that had visible arcing and powerful enough to cause much pain and suffering.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2947362

The odds of ESD these days particularly with the way PCBs are built with grounds everywhere is near zero. LTT and Electroboom did a video simulating worse case ESD and they could kill anything even with static that had visible arcing and powerful enough to cause much pain and suffering.
If your going to all that effort of hooking ya self up to an earth/ground because your worried your going to fry something from a static discharge and want to make the install process more annoying, then you were wasting your time covering your self in nylon and practicing your breaststroke on your nylon carpet before assembling your PC.