[SOLVED] Pc not booting after power is cut to the PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2021
So I've got a wired problem... After the power is disconnected from the PSU pc doesn't wanna boot, fans spin, LEDs glow but no bios messange no nothing.
You can turn the pc off and it will start normaly but if you unplug it from the wall or if you disconnect the power cable from the PSU it gets stuck in that phase before booting.
Solution I curretly have is such that I open the PSU switch and close the pc start switch to let it "drain" itself of the power, I also unplug the GPU, using the intergrated one and I take out the RAM sticks and then I wait for a day or more and after a day or so I try turning it on again and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, what I then do is shuffle RAM sticks around (I only have to RAM sockets so its eazy) and after a random number of tries it magically starts, then I connect the GPU and all the peripheral stuff back and hope the power doesnt cut again. But this is not a proper solution and if anyone would know what to do or how to fix this I'd be ethernaly grateful.

PSU is new, a year and a half old, bought straight from the shop, its a Corsair VS550 unit
Motherboard is ASUS m5a78l-m lx3
CPU is FX4100 4 core 2.5 Ghz
And GPU is Gtx 950

Solution
Here is me again, I've managed to fix it.
In old Gigabyte (I hope it was gigabyte) guides they've mentioned to short VCC and GND on Bios (first top left pin from notch and last bottom right row pin) to boot the backup bios?
I've shorted it while it was in stand by mode and now it booted up.

Ralston18

Titan
Do you always turn off the computer via Window's Shutdown icon?

As I understand your post that does not seem to be the case....

The computer should not be turned off by unplugging it from the wall or disconnecting the power cable.

Windows requires time to gracefully shut itself down and prepare for the next boot.

Sudden power losses can interrupt updates, housekeeping chores, and cause file corruption/data loss.

Try a few normal Windows icon shutdowns.

Also run "sfc /scannow" and "dism" via the Command Prompt to give Windows an opportunity to fix any corrupted files.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

Mar 22, 2021
Do you always turn off the computer via Window's Shutdown icon?

As I understand your post that does not seem to be the case....

The computer should not be turned off by unplugging it from the wall or disconnecting the power cable.

Windows requires time to gracefully shut itself down and prepare for the next boot.

Sudden power losses can interrupt updates, housekeeping chores, and cause file corruption/data loss.

Try a few normal Windows icon shutdowns.

Also run "sfc /scannow" and "dism" via the Command Prompt to give Windows an opportunity to fix any corrupted files.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/
I generaly keep it on, and when I shut it down I do it like a normal person but the problem is the place where I live often has power cuts which I have no control over and I would also like to note that it had no problems with that untill maybe 6 months ago

And for some other unconnected reason I just ran those cmd commands yesterday

Ralston18

Titan
The power cuts are certainly a tough problem. And overtime will wreak havoc on computers and electronics in general.

Loss of power, power surges, brown outs are all too common in many places.

= = = =

Shut down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust & debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Try a new CMOS battery, also just as a matter of elimination.

= = = =

If at all possible consider getting a UPS to give yourself time to properly shutdown when power is cut.

Remember to continually back up all important data.

Not sure what else to suggest.

Mar 22, 2021
The power cuts are certainly a tough problem. And overtime will wreak havoc on computers and electronics in general.

Loss of power, power surges, brown outs are all too common in many places.

= = = =

Shut down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust & debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Try a new CMOS battery, also just as a matter of elimination.

= = = =

If at all possible consider getting a UPS to give yourself time to properly shutdown when power is cut.

Remember to continually back up all important data.

Not sure what else to suggest.
Eh I know all that and I did all that except buying an UPS, which I'm planing to do but I'm unable currently. Thanks for your time though

So I've got a wired problem... After the power is disconnected from the PSU pc doesn't wanna boot, fans spin, LEDs glow but no bios messange no nothing.
You can turn the pc off and it will start normaly but if you unplug it from the wall or if you disconnect the power cable from the PSU it gets stuck in that phase before booting.
Solution I curretly have is such that I open the PSU switch and close the pc start switch to let it "drain" itself of the power, I also unplug the GPU, using the intergrated one and I take out the RAM sticks and then I wait for a day or more and after a day or so I try turning it on again and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, what I then do is shuffle RAM sticks around (I only have to RAM sockets so its eazy) and after a random number of tries it magically starts, then I connect the GPU and all the peripheral stuff back and hope the power doesnt cut again. But this is not a proper solution and if anyone would know what to do or how to fix this I'd be ethernaly grateful.

PSU is new, a year and a half old, bought straight from the shop, its a Corsair VS550 unit
Motherboard is ASUS m5a78l-m lx3
CPU is FX4100 4 core 2.5 Ghz
And GPU is Gtx 950

Manually set your memory clock speed and timings in the BIOS.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
From the sounds of it, I'd say the psu is faulty.

Windows shutdown is exactly that, windows shutting down. Not the pc. The psu goes into Standby mode and is waiting on a start command from the switch to apply power to the various devices. But is still On, as is the motherboard and USB ports.

Psu power Off is quite different. That's a total off, not a Standby off. It's possible a circuit is hanging up internally, not allowing the psu to reset itself into Standby mode when power input is resumed.

Pushing the power button drains the motherboard of power, doesn't necessarily drain the caps in the psu of power.

Mar 22, 2021
From the sounds of it, I'd say the psu is faulty.

Windows shutdown is exactly that, windows shutting down. Not the pc. The psu goes into Standby mode and is waiting on a start command from the switch to apply power to the various devices. But is still On, as is the motherboard and USB ports.

Psu power Off is quite different. That's a total off, not a Standby off. It's possible a circuit is hanging up internally, not allowing the psu to reset itself into Standby mode when power input is resumed.

Pushing the power button drains the motherboard of power, doesn't necessarily drain the caps in the psu of power.
Yes I've been thinking somewhere along those lines but I don't know how it came to be like that... I had PSUs that ran for 7-10 years with no faults...

And you have an interesting point about draining, maybe that is why it takes so long to be able to work... But then again it deliveres power to the motherboard, fans are on, LED indicators also etc. There is power, it's just that the boot sequence ends there. Maybe there is some fault with the motherboard?

jtk2515

Distinguished
Cannt you clip the green wire on the 24 pin Spice it into the black 5v thats next to it. so it would be like manually jump starting your PSU. then you can just turn it off from the button on the back of the PSU.

No idea if this would work but it sounds good in my head lol. Would not try it but it got me thinking.

If that were wrong wouldn't it also cause some other issues? I can try surely but first I'd have to boot it, which I can't do at the moment

When you cut the power to the PSU, that kills +5VSB. Memory timings are stored in volatile memory, not the BIOS, unless you manually set them in the BIOS which is kept "alive" via your motherboard's battery.

When you cut the power to the motherboard, and the RAM settings are "AUTO", then the board has to reconfigure those settings when you power up next.

Reactions: Grof_formula
Mar 22, 2021
When you cut the power to the PSU, that kills +5VSB. Memory timings are stored in volatile memory, not the BIOS, unless you manually set them in the BIOS which is kept "alive" via your motherboard's battery.

When you cut the power to the motherboard, and the RAM settings are "AUTO", then the board has to reconfigure those settings when you power up next.
I will cetrainly do that but first I have to start it :/

Here is me again, I've managed to fix it.
In old Gigabyte (I hope it was gigabyte) guides they've mentioned to short VCC and GND on Bios (first top left pin from notch and last bottom right row pin) to boot the backup bios?
I've shorted it while it was in stand by mode and now it booted up.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.