Pc not booting after randomly shutting down

Jantipuna6

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
Pc:Evga GeForce gtx960 GPU
Asus m5a97 MB
Corsair cx750M PSU
Amd fx 8350 4 ghz PCU
About last week, while playing LoL, my computer shut down. Thought maybe overheating. Booted up, kept playing with no problems. Yesterday, same thing, but after I booted it would shut back down with no beep codes. Let it sit until today. Booted up, received 1long-3 short beeps and it powered back off- asus indicates bad video card. I reseat the card and tried to boot, won't turn on. Tried paper clip trick to test PSU, it turned fans on so power supply should be ok. Removed and reseated RAM, nothing. Moved jumpers to reset CMOS, nothing. If my GPU is broken, would that prevent me from booting? Or shouldn't it just boot up with no screen? Im lost, please help.

Solution
First, the paper clip test only shows that the PSU will turn on when the signal is present. You have to also read voltages to verify it is OK.
Yes, a bad gfx card would prevent you from booting. Do you have access to another card to temporarily test with? If not, see if you can start the system with the card removed. Of course, you will have no display.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
First, the paper clip test only shows that the PSU will turn on when the signal is present. You have to also read voltages to verify it is OK.
Yes, a bad gfx card would prevent you from booting. Do you have access to another card to temporarily test with? If not, see if you can start the system with the card removed. Of course, you will have no display.

Solution

Jantipuna6

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016

I am grabbing a cheapie card from best buy tomorrow to test this. Also, will test PSU with volt meter as well. I tried booting with gfx card out, but it wouldn't power on at all. Also, I was getting USB power when turning PSU on, but I am no longer getting any USB, just the paper clip trick is work. Hopefully I have more to go on tomorrow when I try out your sugfestions