Question PC not booting after sudden lag ?

Aug 19, 2022
Not all too familiar with PCs as a whole, but I hope to get some help.

My PC was working correctly today until I opened a game (which has always ran smoothly). Suddenly, the audio screeched and my entire PC began to lag to the point of not being able to function. Task manager appeared normal aside from my CPU usage being higher than usual, but not past 50%. I performed a restart and now my PC is not turning on. The RGB and fans are working correctly, aside from the GPU no longer lighting up, but the power switch is unresponsive and my monitor, keyboard & mouse are not registering my PC.

I have unplugged everything. Taken a look at the power supply. Reinstalled the RAM. I have checked over my GPU and everything should be okay in theory, is it safe to say it is fried in some way? I have done absolutely nothing to my PC and this is the first time I have encountered this issue. Any help is appreciated.

Case: DeepCool D-Shield V2
PSU: Cooler Master Elite V3 600w
MOBO: HuananZhi X99-TF
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2698 V3 3.6 GHz
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper TX3
RAM: Samsung LRDIMM DDR4 128GB (4x32GB)
SSD: WD Blue 500GB NVMe
GPU: PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX-6600XT 8GB

All parts are new, PC was built less than three months ago.

Last edited:

mrpete2

Honorable
Aug 9, 2017
It has been quite a while with not a peep from anyone ...

The flip side of that coin is that you seem to have serious problems that could be difficult to diagnose remotely.

You need to start with basic building blocks. Does the PSU work? Can you get through a RAM test?

You have a "normal" PSU = not an odd size, etc. Start with that. Swap the PSU into another PC and see if you can boot to BIOS. Alternately, you could get a cheap PSU tester to simply see if the PSU is producing the correct voltages. A more expensive PSU tester would tell you if the PSU can produce the right voltages while under a significant load. I suspect that the cheap PSU tester may well tell you that one of your PSU voltages is out (dead PSU).

What country are you in?

The intermediate goal here should be to get you booted to BIOS and then through a RAM test.