Question PC NOT BOOTING DUE TO XMP - PLEASE HELP

Jun 6, 2023
Please read this and help, I am worried

I have a new PC.
It’s a Lenovo Tower T7
i9 13900kf, RTX 4080, DDR5 32GB Ram 5600mhz
There is 4 slots on the motherboard for RAM.

I have my own RAM from my old system that I installed it when I got this PC few weeks ago.
The new ram is Corsair Vengeance 4x16GB 5600mhz DDR5

So my PC was working great until an hour ago when I realised my task manager said my memory was at 4000 mhz
I swapped the current vengeance RAM with the 32GB and it said the same.
I put the 4x16GB vengeance back in, went into bios, seen “XMP” and enabled it. Now when I boot I get beeping noises.
3 short beeps, 1 long beep.
Keep in mind: all lights/LED are fine (including ram)

I took the power cable out , held the power button for 1 minute and then took the CMOS battery out. I left it out for a few minutes and was touching it then put it back in.

This time my PC didn’t make a sound, I got a display and I seen the LEGION logo for 1 second (normal before it boots into windows) then it shut off. Instantly. Then it turns back on and then sits there. No display or beeping sounds

I turn it back off and on, beep beeps..

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd try and disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, remove the sticks of ram then replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes. Replace with only two sticks of ram but in slots 2 and 4(if you look at the ram slots from left to right, 1, 2, 3, 4).

Reconnect to display and then power, see if it's shows signs of life.

Please stick to one thread.

Jun 6, 2023

I'd try and disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, remove the sticks of ram then replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes. Replace with only two sticks of ram but in slots 2 and 4(if you look at the ram slots from left to right, 1, 2, 3, 4).

Please confirm, Remove all RAM sticks -> Wait 30 mins -> Put the CMOS battery back in?

I only have 1 CMOS battery so I don’t understand “replace”

I plugged out all cables and I held the power button down for 2 minutes already. Will this affect anything? I haven’t touched the RAM or CMOS battery yet.

Jun 6, 2023
e

Let me tell you what I just did.

Shut down PC, plugged out all cables
Held power button for 2 minutes
Removed CMOS battery, held power button for 30 sec.
Removed all RAM
Waited 30 mins then put CMOS battery back in & the RAM after.

The PC booted and I seen the Legion logo (like normal) and my keyboard lit up. This was for 1 second or even less.. Then the PC shut down instantly and restarted itself.
It didn’t beep at all before or after and when it restarted, no display/lights on keyboard. No beeps.
I was spamming the BIOS key on keyboard as fast as I could during the whole process but it didn’t do anything.

Jun 6, 2023
The PC is still on after the restart for 3 mins now , still no display.

I powered it off and on again myself and got no beeps, no display, no lights on keyboard.

Jun 6, 2023
I just wanted to test something myself nobody told me to do this, just wanted to try. I don’t know much I only know basics so I could be wrong :::

I took 1 ram stick out from the 4th slot.
Then the beeping happened again so I put it back in the 4th slot and there’s no beeping.

So i think the system is expecting 2 sticks of ram or “dual channel “ ? Because lenovos site says that the beeping means “Memory not detected”

So i think we got 2 issues mixed up together.
I think there’s no display because the motherboard can’t handle the XMP

Jun 6, 2023
I just put 2x16GB RGB ram 5600mhz
The PC booted into Windows!
It took like 2 minutes though..?
I am scared to power the PC off again incase

My BIOS time in task manager is 58 seconds
Normally it’s like 8

Jun 6, 2023
I got everything to work.

I have a question though

So I can boot into Windows fine now with 2x16GB 5600MHZ fast.
Like normal.
XMP is enabled and I can see my speed are correct 5600MHZ

I have 2 questions
1) obviously if I add my other 2x16GB it will cause this issue again. why? It is all the same brand
2) Should I stay on this?
I could have 64GB 4000mhz
Or I could have 32GB 5600mhz
Which is better? I use this for gaming only really.
It would be nice also to have the other 2 RGB sticks in for aesthetic purposes (if it’s not a big difference the 4000vs5600mhz)

sarcophagus_macabre

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2013
The reason for the disparity between using 2 & 4 sticks of RAM is the memory controller. Running 4 sticks of RAM puts much more stress on the memory controller than running 2, and since XMP is overclocking the RAM, it also puts stress on the memory controller.

How much RAM you use depends on what you whether you need capacity or speed more.