[SOLVED] PC not booting in new system. GPU worked in old PC but doesn't with new parts ?

Jan 5, 2022
Hi there, my friend's PC isn't displaying any output. This is a newly built PC apart from the GPU, which was working in the previous PC (tested again after troubleshooting and the GPU is still functional in the old PC). Fans don't spin, there is no RGB to check for RGB (on the gpu). The indicator ontop of the PCIE connector is solid white so yes the PCIE connecter is plugged in. Running with IGPU works 100%. Managed to post and install windows 10 pro 64 bit on it. But GPU doesn't show in the device manager. Checked all sections/tabs, unhid devices, no sign of unknown devices or wrongly named devices. Attempting to install Nvidia drivers results in error saying nvidia GPU isn't installed.

Can access BIOS. MOBO BIOS is flashed to latest version. All mobo drivers are installed. Tried changing pcie slot gen to Gen 3 (PCI_E1 Max link speed) set to Gen3. Tried reseating + swapping RAM. Tried clearing CMOS (removing, draining, and leaving for 10 minutes before rebooting). Tried second GPU slot. None worked so far. Still no signal when attempting to boot with GPU plugged into HDMI (tested DVI as well, not functioning). Monitor + cable is not a problem, tested with a different system (the old system).

Specs:
i5 11400
MSI Z590 PRO WIFI
ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO
Crucial 2x8GB (16GB) of 3200 C16 DDR4
Silverstone DA750 Gold
Only have a 1TB 970 EVO PLUS installed in the top m.2 slot

Have yet to try a different GPU as I don't currently have one on hand but are there any other suggestions?

Solution
Could be damage to the motherboard or the PCI lanes of the CPU.
Easiest thing I can think of would be to try another PCI-e device in those slots and see if you get anything. Loaner card or other device.

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Do you have an option within the BIOS labelled "Primary Graphics Adapter", or something similar? If so, ensure it's set to PCI Express.

If that doesn't work, next I'd have to recommend clearing the CMOS then completing a POST whilst the dedicated GPU is installed in the primary PCI Express x16 slot.

Jan 5, 2022
Could be damage to the motherboard or the PCI lanes of the CPU.
Easiest thing I can think of would be to try another PCI-e device in those slots and see if you get anything. Loaner card or other device.
That was my thinking too. I'll test with some other pcie devices if i get the chance tomorrow. (ie a GPU if i can get my hands on one to test or just a wifi card if not)

Jan 5, 2022
Do you have an option within the BIOS labelled "Primary Graphics Adapter", or something similar? If so, ensure it's set to PCI Express.

If that doesn't work, next I'd have to recommend clearing the CMOS then completing a POST whilst the dedicated GPU is installed in the primary PCI Express x16 slot.
As far as i'm aware that is not an option in the MSI BIOS (I have tested plugging the GPU in in first x16 slot, booting and then switching to iGPU, but that was blank).

EDIT: I forgot to add that I've already tried the suggestion to clear CMOS and then attempt to post with GPU in 1st x16 slot (to no avail).

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
As far as i'm aware that is not an option in the MSI BIOS (I have tested plugging the GPU in in first x16 slot, booting and then switching to iGPU, but that was blank).

EDIT: I forgot to add that I've already tried the suggestion to clear CMOS and then attempt to post with GPU in 1st x16 slot (to no avail).
In that case I'd fall back to;

Jan 5, 2022
Another thing to consider is PSU. It's not the same as in old build, right?
No it is not. I was planning on messing around (ie troubleshooting) the psu tomorrow too, to try and rule it out before I come to any conclusions. Would mean testing different cable and psu slot configs, and probably also testing the psu in the old system too. Will see how it goes with the testing though.

No it is not. I was planning on messing around (ie troubleshooting) the psu tomorrow too, to try and rule it out before I come to any conclusions. Would mean testing different cable and psu slot configs, and probably also testing the psu in the old system too. Will see how it goes with the testing though.
Actually, putting old PSU in new rig would bring us more info.