[SOLVED] PC not booting, no post.

GRich7

Commendable
Aug 22, 2020
Hello,

I frequent these forums often and is my main source for problem solving and other valuable information regarding PCs and this is my first time posting.

My PC started showing only 8gb/ 16gb memory in bios a while back then started to not post after being shutdown for a period of time. I needed to constantly shutdown and power up and eventually it would post.
When powering up, all fans, GPU are operative, lights, but the CPU fan has very slow to no movement at first.
  • I cleaned, re-seated all components including CPU.
  • Checked cpu socket for bent pins.
  • Individually checked ram G.Skill 4x4gb and the ram slots, which they seem fine and all operative.

I'm assuming it's a motherboard issue, but would like confirmation if possible from the community.

System:
Asus Z77 Motherboard
i5 3470k CPU
EVGA GTX 680 GPU
G.Skill Ram 4x4gb
650 Thermaltake PSU

System worked perfect for past few years. I know it's pretty old system, but would just like to refurbish with minimum dent in wallet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Hello,

I frequent these forums often and is my main source for problem solving and other valuable information regarding PCs and this is my first time posting.

My PC started showing only 8gb/ 16gb memory in bios a while back then started to not post after being shutdown for a period of time. I needed to constantly shutdown and power up and eventually it would post.
When powering up, all fans, GPU are operative, lights, but the CPU fan has very slow to no movement at first.
  • Individually checked ram G.Skill 4x4gb and the ram slots, which they seem fine and all operative.
I'm assuming it's a motherboard issue, but would like...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Might be motherboard maybe even cpu.

Maybe that a more thorough cleaning might help,
The Tech YES Lovin' Process in 2019 - (Build a Used PC Faster than ever) Tech YES City Geverifieerd • 14K weergaven Nieuw
am abit ambivalent about the brakecleaner, but he has had good luck with it. Can at least try all the other stuff like also giving the chipset new paste.

Maybe also put in a new battery on the motherboard, those cost little. Ask since you say it has more problems after being of for a longer time. Get the feeling you flip the switch on the psu.

If you can get it running would it also be good to check if the bios is up to date.

Hello,

I'm assuming it's a motherboard issue, but would like confirmation if possible from the community.

System:
Asus Z77 Motherboard
i5 3470k CPU
EVGA GTX 680 GPU
G.Skill Ram 4x4gb
650 Thermaltake PSU

System worked perfect for past few years. I know it's pretty old system, but would just like to refurbish with minimum dent in wallet.

Any help would be appreciated.
Could be a PSU problem.
And take out the GPU, connect monitor to the motherboard (you have iGPU) and see what happens.
If things improve, could be related to a GPU problem or the PSU unable to immediately provide enough power.

Solution

GRich7

Commendable
Aug 22, 2020
Thanks for your replies.

I took everything out but the motherboard. Thoroughly cleaned case, fans, etc.. Connected everything back and still same issue, in fact, the CPU fan seems just to move only an inch, stops, and again.
I removed all but essentials. (just 1 ram stick, boot SSD, plugged in monitor direct to MB. I even tried booting without any ram, no warning beeps.
The PSU seems fine and fan is spinning. When I used to have it up and running, I had no probs restarting. The only issue was when it was off for a period of time, like the situation I'm in.

Everything is closed right now, but I was going to pickup a new PSU and take it from there. But like I said, everything runs fine once it gets going.

I was shopping online and looking into a new motherboard and CPU, but now I would have to buy new ram as well, I'd have to upgrade to a DDR4 system. Older parts are hard to come by, or is very expensive.

Last edited: