PC not booting up with hard drives.

Taras007

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
So I recently chaged cases and ever since than my pc will not boot up properly. first it get top an error screen than I sends me to BIOS and from BIOS the only way for me to be able to use my PC is to boot with "windows boot manager" I tried changing by boot setting so my pc boots up with my SSD drive and still nothing. can anyone help?

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, Taras007!

You mentioned you've tried changing the boot settings, does that mean that you've set the boot priority to the SSD?
While there, I'd also suggest you to make sure to change the SATA mode for the SSD to AHCI and then try to boot again.

If that doesn't help, I'd recommend you to reset BIOS by re-seating the CMOS battery on the motherboard. You can use either method out of these: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS
Make sure you edit the BIOS settings again afterwards before trying to boot, because this procedure will get them back to factory defaults.

Keep me posted! Hope this helps! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, Taras007!

You mentioned you've tried changing the boot settings, does that mean that you've set the boot priority to the SSD?
While there, I'd also suggest you to make sure to change the SATA mode for the SSD to AHCI and then try to boot again.

If that doesn't help, I'd recommend you to reset BIOS by re-seating the CMOS battery on the motherboard. You can use either method out of these: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS
Make sure you edit the BIOS settings again afterwards before trying to boot, because this procedure will get them back to factory defaults.

Keep me posted! Hope this helps! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Woody1999

Admirable
Try disconnecting all drives but your primary boot drive (the one with the System Reserved and C: partitions on it) and try booting like that. That eliminates any conflict between software on different drives.

If that doesn't fix your problem, I recommend breadboarding your system. That means taking everything out of the case, and running the PC with only the CPU and Motherboard, and one stick of RAM. Add parts one by one until your PC no longer boots. The part that stops your PC booting is the faulty one.

Woody

Taras007

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
Yeah so far nothing helped. I've been bashing my head at this for 4 hours now... Basically it reads my ssd and it shows it there available. What it does not do is boot from it. It forces me to boot from windows boot manager

Did you try the BIOS reset, Taras007?
If that didn't help, maybe you should check your motherboard manufacturer's website for any firmware updates. You can refer to your mobo manual for instructions on how to flash your BIOS or you can use this tutorial: http://www.7tutorials.com/how-update-bios-your-computers-motherboard-5-steps

If that doesn't help, you should try the drive in another computer or a dock station to see if it can get properly detected somewhere else.

SuperSoph_WD

Taras007

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

I just tried to do that and its already set to my default SSD operating system. So I don't think that's it.

Taras007

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

Yes I did do that. I used few different tutorials from the link you provided and still nothing. So what tends to happen is. I start my PC a quick massage pops up says no hard drives found. Than it goes to another black screen says 0 Drives 1 Keyboard 1 Mouse I think I also get a CPU Fan error below that as well and after it throws me into my BIOS from there the only way to start my pc is from Windows Boot Manager.

Taras007

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
Also idk if this help I can use my PC just fine when I start it up as Windows Boot Manager. everything else runs smoothly once im in so no issues there. But that's the only way for me to start my pc up.

Sorry for all the replies I just want to give as much info as I can

Taras007

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

yes i have, i actually think i will take it to an expert to take a look at. All my harddrives are here i can see em in the BIOS and in My Computer once i am able to get into it. i can use my computer just fine like i am doing right now. idk whats going on honestly.

Taras007

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

i am also able to use my hard drives like installing stuff on em.

Taras007

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015

yeah fans are spinning for sure. I was also thinking that its my mother board but didnt want to jump to any conclusions because i dont want to replace it. i have a Sabertooth 990FX.

shivababbli

Distinguished

did you delete the other OS

Hi again, Taras007!

I totally agree with Woody! It seems like you are dealing with a faulty motherboard, so I'd suggest you to contact the manufacturer's tech support for assistance. If it's still under warranty, they should be able to provide you with a replacement once you send your RMA request.

Good luck! Hope we were helpful!
SuperSoph_WD