PC not booting

Aug 28, 2018
Ryzen 5 1600x so no iGPU, GTX 1080, X470 Aurus ultra gaming mobo, Corsair Vengance LPX 16GB, corsair CX750 PSU, whenever I go to turn on my PC it turns on but the VGA light is on implying a graphics card issue, I've had this before and usually if I turn on my TV after getting this light the PC continues to boot but after recently crashing and restarting it now won't boot at all help

update: pc booted perfectly when GPU was placed in the slower x8 port instead pf the x16 slot

Aug 28, 2018

I put it back and it didn't work but I've had the slot working before, could the slot just require cleaning or does the x16 slot use more power and it could be too much for my psu?

Aug 28, 2018

Tried this but was already on the latest bios, but I did notice that when not in the x16 port the nvidia graphics manager menu doesn't show up

update: wiggling the port seems to get it to boot, I think the weight of the card is somehow lifting it off of the connections or something and the screw is not holdingit up properly

Good find.

Aug 28, 2018

It worked for a bit but the screen started flashing black whenever I opened a new tab in chrome then it shutdown
is my GPU just dying or something

Did you firmly clip in the grahics card and screws to ensure is tightly installed? If so, it sounds like your PCI-E slot cannot hold the graphics card into place because of the GPU sag.

Aug 28, 2018

I'm about to go out to do some shopping just now but when I get back I'll try and get some pictures because I can't seem to get it to sit right

Aug 28, 2018

got a replacement motherboard and having the same issue so I doubt its the port, any good test for seeing if a gpu is dead?