[SOLVED] Pc not Conniecting to Lan

Feb 15, 2022
Hi looking for some guidance.

I recently moved house. My PC no longer connects to my network, it says no cable connected.

When I connect my pc to my laptop with a network cable it connects, my laptop also connects to the lan with no issues.

My mother is an Asus b450 strix, the nic is an Intel i211, drivers and bios are up to date.

Any advise for a guy?

Solution
When you get a cable disconnected message it is almost always a bad cable or bad port. This is very different than the case where the ethernet port is active but does not function.
So if you do IPCONFIG /all you see the ethernet port in disconnected state ?

What is very strange is that the ethernet port works when you connect it to your laptop ?

What is different I guess. Are you connecting the PC directly to the router or are you using in wall cabling. Just because the laptop works on in wall cabling does not mean the PC will. When you have a marginal cable it can work on some and not others.

If you are going directly to the router I would first try a new cable. It could be just slightly defective. It...

Ralston18

Titan
[Moderator note; moving post from Motherboards to Networking.]

The "laptop connects to the lan with no issues" - correct?

If you connect the PC using the same cable and connection path does the PC then connect to the LAN?

On the laptop (while connected to the LAN) run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Then do the same using the PC.

Copy and post the results and be sure to post which is the Laptop and which is the PC.

Make and model router or modem/router if combined?

Feb 15, 2022
[Moderator note; moving post from Motherboards to Networking.]

The "laptop connects to the lan with no issues" - correct?

If you connect the PC using the same cable and connection path does the PC then connect to the LAN?

On the laptop (while connected to the LAN) run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Then do the same using the PC.

Copy and post the results and be sure to post which is the Laptop and which is the PC.

Make and model router or modem/router if combined?

Hi, no when the pc connects to the LAN with the same cable and path it says no cable connected.

It's not an issue with the network as all my other devices work with the same cable (I am a network engineer so I know a thing or two.)

When you get a cable disconnected message it is almost always a bad cable or bad port. This is very different than the case where the ethernet port is active but does not function.
So if you do IPCONFIG /all you see the ethernet port in disconnected state ?

What is very strange is that the ethernet port works when you connect it to your laptop ?

What is different I guess. Are you connecting the PC directly to the router or are you using in wall cabling. Just because the laptop works on in wall cabling does not mean the PC will. When you have a marginal cable it can work on some and not others.

If you are going directly to the router I would first try a new cable. It could be just slightly defective. It would be nice if ethernet cables just completely failed when they no longer meet the standards. Make sure you get a quality cable.
You only need cat5e but cat6 is ok if it is cheaper. Key is the cable must be pure copper (no CCA) and have wire size 22-24. Do not use that flat cable you see being sold the wire size is way to small to meet the ethernet standards.

If this does not fix it then all that is left is a new nic either internal or USB

Solution