PC not detecting HDMI connected monitor.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MarkramUK

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Hi!

I am trying to connect my Samsung S24B300 monitor to my PC (graphics card: AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB) using an HDMI cable. Previously I had connected it with a VGA cable using a VGA to DVI adapter, and this worked just fine. However, what I am attempting to do is set up dual monitors. My plan is to connect my main monitor (S24B300) to my PC using an HDMI cable and my secondary monitor (Samsung Syncmaster S22B150) using my old method of a VGA to DVI adapter. But, as stated in the title, connecting the monitor to the PC with an HDMI cable does not seem to be working. I have tried switching the display from analog to HDMI, but it just shows a blank screen and then goes back to analog, I have also tried restarting the PC to no avail.

This issue has left me completely stuck and so I reach out to you for advice/solutions. I am also welcoming advice on setting up dual monitors and if there's anything I should know.

Thanks in advance!

MarkramUK

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Hello,

what I mean is that even when I extract them, the only thing that shows on the list is the .inf file, and if I try to use that an error appears saying it 'doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device.'

kambizbr

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
Hi pals,

I had the same problem "PC not detecting HDMI connected monitor" and I resolved it by changing my monitor's settings NOT my PC settings. There was this error message on the screen that "There is no cable connected"! You need to change the monitor's setting to HDMI. The make of my monitor was BenQ and I pushed the ENTER button on the right hand side of the monitor several times until HDMI appeared. I think other monitors might need to be set up to HDMI when they are connected by an HDMI cable to a PC or laptop. Try this before you spend money on upgrading your graphic card.

Hope this helps.

Oct 5, 2018
you are a genius, thank you!