Question PC not drawing enough power sometimes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2023
Hi, been having a problem for a while where I can't play some games as my fps is stuttering/very low. Looked through hWINFO and found that my components (only really looked at CPU and GPU) were drawing only about 30% of its maximum power, however the GPU usage was at 100% (GPU at around 50-70W and CPU was at around 30W). The only weird thing is that this only happens on some games, as some draw up to 190W for my GPU. Its not anything to do with temperature either as my GPU maxes out at around 55C when this is happening. Its not anything to do with viruses/malware or windows software as I have tried fully wiping my ssd and taking out other drives.

specs:
gtx 1080
i5 9600k
32gb ram
550W PSU

Any help with fixing/identifying the problem would be appreciated.

Happened to me at one time because the RAM was underclocked. My XMP was not enabled and the RAM was running at 800 Mhz. In games, the GPU was drawing 200W instead of the 350W+ it should have been drawing and the game was laggy/bad fps.
When i enabled XMP the GPU draw increased to normal status.
For me, driver reinstalls had not helped.

Check your memory frequency in BIOS.

Mar 28, 2023
Happened to me at one time because the RAM was underclocked. My XMP was not enabled and the RAM was running at 800 Mhz. In games, the GPU was drawing 200W instead of the 350W+ it should have been drawing and the game was laggy/bad fps.
When i enabled XMP the GPU draw increased to normal status.
For me, driver reinstalls had not helped.

Check your memory frequency in BIOS.
XMP was not enabled however did not change anything when I did enable.

Hi, been having a problem for a while where I can't play some games as my fps is stuttering/very low. Looked through hWINFO and found that my components (only really looked at CPU and GPU) were drawing only about 30% of its maximum power, however the GPU usage was at 100% (GPU at around 50-70W and CPU was at around 30W). The only weird thing is that this only happens on some games, as some draw up to 190W for my GPU. Its not anything to do with temperature either as my GPU maxes out at around 55C when this is happening. Its not anything to do with viruses/malware or windows software as I have tried fully wiping my ssd and taking out other drives.

specs:
gtx 1080
i5 9600k
32gb ram
550W PSU

Any help with fixing/identifying the problem would be appreciated.
What is the make/model of your motherboard?

Mar 28, 2023
What BIOS version is currently installed? If your i5-9600K is version P0 you need at least BIOS version 1002, if it's version R0 you need at least version version 2201. You can see the version, or stepping number, of your CPU, as well as your BIOS version in CPU-Z.

Updated before installing to 3004, which I think was the latest at the time

Status
Not open for further replies.