[SOLVED] PC not POSTing!

Mar 24, 2020
My PC will turn on, fans spin, all is good, but no display, and this is a brand new pc! I understand that this has been posted many a time, but thought I would just throw a new one up for my specific systems specs.
My system specs are:
Ryzen 3 2200G
B450M-HDV R4.0
Vengeance LPX 8GB kit (2 x 4) Edit:3000mhz
500W EVGA PSU

I understand if youre just going to roll your eyes at this because you've seen it to many times, but genuinely any help that you give really does mean a lot to me because I've really dedicated a lot to this. Thanks for reading.

Solution
So unless I've somehow blown the new Mobo, or it's faulty, it's looking like the cpu or PSU. Is there any way that I can verify it is the one or the other without replacing parts?
One way would be get a PC speaker and connect to the speaker terminals. It should give you a 'beep' notification to tell you how far it gets in POST. The beeps are encoded, just look them up and it would give some clues.

Otherwise, you'll need at least a DMM: put it on a +12V lead and watch what voltage does as the system boot loops. If the voltage varies to an extreme, especially dropping below ~11.4V or above 12.6V, you'll know it's not regulating very well and that's a clue it's bad. A really good DMM can also measure ripple. That's not...
My PC will turn on, fans spin, all is good, but no display, and this is a brand new pc! I understand that this has been posted many a time, but thought I would just throw a new one up for my specific systems specs.
My system specs are:
Ryzen 3 2200G
B450M-HDV R4.0
Vengeance LPX 8GB kit (2 x 4)
500W EVGA PSU

I understand if youre just going to roll your eyes at this because you've seen it to many times, but genuinely any help that you give really does mean a lot to me because I've really dedicated a lot to this. Thanks for reading.
Is it brand new as in "just built and NEVER worked"? If so, the usual suspects:
  • Check that all connections are correct and completely engaged. Double/triple check the 4+4 pin CPU power connector as well as 24+4 motherboard connector. Re-seating connections can help sometimes but not usually needed in brand-new build.
  • Check motherboard installation that all standoffs are in place, and no extra ones left in place
  • Check that CPU is fully seated with no bent pins and that heatsink fan is making full contact with the heat spreader
  • I don't see a GPU listed so there should be only one display port available but if you have one be sure to use the port on the GPU.
If you have any other response from the system it would be helpful to know: like do LED's light up? do fans spin? do you get beeps from the system speaker or trouble-shooting LED's lighting up? Even briefly?

To simplify things, you can try completely disconnecting hard drives (power and data) from the motherboard, as well is removing discrete GPU's and even NVME's and chassis fans. The idea is to have nothing but PSU, motherboard, CPU and memory in place, just enough to get into BIOS. If it still doesn't work try memory one at a time and in different DIMM sockets. If it works, add parts and when you plug the bad one in it stops.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Mar 24, 2020
Is it brand new as in "just built and NEVER worked"? If so, the usual suspects:
  • Check that all connections are correct and completely engaged. Double/triple check the 4+4 pin CPU power connector as well as 24+4 motherboard connector. Re-seating connections can help sometimes but not usually needed in brand-new build.
  • Check motherboard installation that all standoffs are in place, and no extra ones left in place
  • Check that CPU is fully seated with no bent pins and that heatsink fan is making full contact with the heat spreader
  • I don't see a GPU listed so there should be only one display port available but if you have one be sure to use the port on the GPU.
If you have any other response from the system it would be helpful to know: like do LED's light up? do fans spin? do you get beeps from the system speaker or trouble-shooting LED's lighting up? Even briefly?

To simplify things, you can try completely disconnecting hard drives (power and data) from the motherboard, as well is removing discrete GPU's and even NVME's and chassis fans. The idea is to have nothing but PSU, motherboard, CPU and memory in place, just enough to get into BIOS. If it still doesn't work try memory one at a time and in different DIMM sockets. If it works, add parts and when you plug the bad one in it stops.

First of all, just want to say thanks drea for responding. Really means a lot.
Brand new like literally built it yesterday.
I checked all the cables and everything is connected solidly. I redid the standoffs to make sure and they're seated very well now as well. I don't have a GPU so was hoping to go off integrated graphics. As far as responses go, the LED on the power switch lights up, the LED on the case fan lights up, the CPU fan starts going, and the PC genuinely does seem healthy. It's just there's no sound from the little speaker and yeah no display either.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020
First of all, just want to say thanks Philip for responding. Really means a lot.
Brand new like literally built it yesterday.
I checked all the cables and everything is connected solidly. I redid the standoffs to make sure and they're seated very well now as well. I don't have a GPU so was hoping to go off integrated graphics. As far as responses go, the LED on the power switch lights up, the LED on the case fan lights up, the CPU fan starts going, and the PC genuinely does seem healthy. It's just there's no sound from the little speaker and yeah no display either.

Just to add, ive disconnected everything bar the CPU fan, the one stick of ram, the 24 pin and 4/8 pin connector and then the power switch to the computer.

Also interestingly enough, when a keyboard is plugged in, there is no power to it as I cannot turn on the rgb lights

Just to add, ive disconnected everything bar the CPU fan, the one stick of ram, the 24 pin and 4/8 pin connector and then the power switch to the computer.

Also interestingly enough, when a keyboard is plugged in, there is no power to it as I cannot turn on the rgb lights
You've a 2200 so a B450 motherboard shouldn't need BIOS update.

Does your mobo have any LED status lights? like one for BOOT, CPU, Memory, GPU? Check your manual; the one lit will tell you were it's finding an error and can't proceed from during POST. If your board doesn't have one you may need to get hold of a PC speaker to hear the beep codes.

Try memory in different slots.

Reset CMOS... check your manual, remove power plug, pull the battery and short pins for at least 10 sec's. Put back together.

And pull the CPU to look at the pins.

If still no good you might have to take it out of the case and connect it up on the bench top. Sometimes it can get a short inside the case.

Mar 24, 2020
You've a 2200 so a B450 motherboard shouldn't need BIOS update.

Does your mobo have any LED status lights? like one for BOOT, CPU, Memory, GPU? Check your manual; the one lit will tell you were it's finding an error and can't proceed from during POST. If your board doesn't have one you may need to get hold of a PC speaker to hear the beep codes.

Try memory in different slots.

Reset CMOS... check your manual, remove power plug, pull the battery and short pins for at least 10 sec's. Put back together.

And pull the CPU to look at the pins.

If still no good you might have to take it out of the case and connect it up on the bench top. Sometimes it can get a short inside the case.

No, there are no status lights unfortunately. A speaker came with the PC case, but whenever I boot up, there's no sound coming out of it. I've tried switching memory and ive rotated the two sticks between the slots. I pulled out the cpu and the pins seem fine to me, nothing noticeable anyway. I've reset the CMOS and still nothing, no sound either.

I've taken it out of the case and have it assembled here and still no display, but the CPU fan still turns on.

No, there are no status lights unfortunately. A speaker came with the PC case, but whenever I boot up, there's no sound coming out of it. I've tried switching memory and ive rotated the two sticks between the slots. I pulled out the cpu and the pins seem fine to me, nothing noticeable anyway. I've reset the CMOS and still nothing, no sound either.

I've taken it out of the case and have it assembled here and still no display, but the CPU fan still turns on.

Have you tested with each memory module individually?... try both of them separately and also check them in every RAM slot on your motherboard.

Mar 24, 2020
Have you tested with each memory module individually?... try both of them separately and also check them in every RAM slot on your motherboard.

Yeah I just did it there again to confirm, but to no success. Is it possible that this particular ram is not compatible with my motherboard? Checked today and it isn't listed underneath compatible ram but surely not all compatible ram modules will be listed there?

Yeah I just did it there again to confirm, but to no success. Is it possible that this particular ram is not compatible with my motherboard? Checked today and it isn't listed underneath compatible ram but surely not all compatible ram modules will be listed there?
If it's at least DDR4, and only a DDR4 DIMM would click solidly in place in the socket, you could at least get it to boot into BIOS even if not 'compatible'. If you've tried each DIMM individually in each socket then I don't think you can blame memory just yet especially since you don't get a series of 'beeps' announcing it failed POST.

If you are absolutely confident you have everything installed correctly then you have to find the DOA part, which is difficult if you don't have spare parts laying around to swap out. Mainly, that would be another CPU and PSU or at least another operating AM4 system you could to put the CPU into. Those two parts or the motherboard are probably the problem, with the CPU the least likely of them.

If you don't have parts to swap, you're best bet now is assemble it fully and take it to a willing computer shop to see if he can troubleshoot to find what's bad. Otherwise, you have no idea exactly what to RMA. But if you can take it back for exchange, the motherboard would be the wild guess part to start with followed by PSU. DOA CPU's are just extremely rare when brand new.

Mar 24, 2020
If it's at least DDR4, and only a DDR4 DIMM would click solidly in place in the socket, you could at least get it to boot into BIOS even if not 'compatible'. If you've tried each DIMM individually in each socket then I don't think you can blame memory just yet especially since you don't get a series of 'beeps' announcing it failed POST.

If you are absolutely confident you have everything installed correctly then you have to find the DOA part, which is difficult if you don't have spare parts laying around to swap out. Mainly, that would be another CPU and PSU or at least another operating AM4 system you could to put the CPU into. Those two parts or the motherboard are probably the problem, with the CPU the least likely of them.

If you don't have parts to swap, you're best bet now is assemble it fully and take it to a willing computer shop to see if he can troubleshoot to find what's bad. Otherwise, you have no idea exactly what to RMA. But if you can take it back for exchange, the motherboard would be the wild guess part to start with followed by PSU. DOA CPU's are just extremely rare when brand new.

Ok thanks for all your responses, might send Mobo back tomorrow

I checked it and its not on there, but surely not all compatible ram sticks will be listed?
They aren't.

Vengence LPX is good quality RAM, and as I said even if 'incompatible' it should at least POST into BIOS if nothing was defective. Since neither of your sticks will then either both are defective (EXTREMELY rare) or it's something else.

Compatibility issues come into play when pushing RAM speeds higher than 2133Mtps... and especially higher than the CPU's rated speed.

Compatibility issues come into play when pushing RAM speeds higher than 2133Mtps... and especially higher than the CPU's rated speed.
As I mentioned earlier, if the memory has an XMP profile (TS stated it is 3.0GHz), one can run into compatibility issues. I did, x570 board did not POST on a brand new build. Switched RAM to a different brand set and it worked like charm.

Mar 24, 2020
Well folks thank you sincerely for your help so far, I bought these parts from Amazon, as you may know there is a 30 day return policy so the plan is to return the Mobo and the ram. I know that the Ram is good quality, but it isn't listed on by ASRock and honestly, I don't want to be waiting so darn long. This way, I get RAM which I KNOW is compatible, and I hope not a defective motherboard. Also, I tested the PSU with a multimeter and it seemed perfect, and as has been said, the CPU is rarely the problem. I feel as if this is the safest and fastest route and I think it's what's best for this.

Hi Drea,

Which motherboard does that? Is this based on knowledge or personal observation?

After clearing CMOS the motherboard will go to default(factory) settings.
By default XMP/DOCP is disabled(this is true for every motherboard) and memory will run at JEDEC standard speeds... either 2133 or 2400 MHz.
Most motherboards that are DDR4 compatible will support these speeds(2133/2400)... so even if you have a 3200 MHz memory module, as long as the stick is perfectly functional it should work with default settings on a motherboard that doesn't support those memory frequencies.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Mar 24, 2020
It has been done. RAM and Mobo on way back. Drea, the reason I went with this is because then I have assurance that when I do finally get my RAM and Mobo, that it should definitely work!

What Mobo would you guys recommend to get? Budget of about 65€.