Question PC not powering up

petaeduard

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018
The issue started from yesterday, while gaming the pc kept turning off. The weird thing was that I couldn’t turn it back on, except if only I powered on/off the PSU from its power button. I figured that this might be because high CPU temps, so I decided to change the CPU paste.

When I reconnected the PSU power cable after the whole process, I kept hearing some static, probably because I forgot to power down the PSU before disconnecting it in the first place.

Now my PC won’t power up, even after switching the PSU button on/off, but the Motherboard Asus Strix led is on, so I guess the mobo is getting power.

I have time until Monday since that’s when PC repair shops are opening up, so could you suggest some fixes or have any idea what could be the issue? Thanks!

If you're already booked in an repair shop, there is probably no reason dealing with this yourself ?

At least without providing some basic info about the computer and specs - and specify whatever you mean with "hearing some static", there is really nothing to go on in order to provide any meaningful help.

petaeduard

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018
If you're already booked in an repair shop, there is probably no reason dealing with this yourself ?

At least without providing some basic info about the computer and specs - and specify whatever you mean with "hearing some static", there is really nothing to go on in order to provide any meaningful help.

I haven’t booked it yet but I’m planning to bring my pc to one on Monday if I can’t fix it myself.

By static I mean electricity sounds, probably due to the connecting the PSU while under tension.

specs:
Asus Strix x470-F Gaming
Cpu: ryzen 2600x
PSU: Corsair RM650i
GPU: Msi 1080 GTX TI
RAM: 2x 8Gb Hyperx

Let me know if you need any other info

Are the PSU older than the rest of the system ?

Have you experienced other kind of symptoms regarding stability or program crashes ?

Have you done any changes (both hardware and software) to the system prior to the issues began ?

I'd recommend you check voltages and temperatures during stress test, use OCCT for that and upload screen shots that show temperatures and voltages (should include 12V).

petaeduard

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018
Are the PSU older than the rest of the system ?

Have you experienced other kind of symptoms regarding stability or program crashes ?

Have you done any changes (both hardware and software) to the system prior to the issues began ?

I'd recommend you check voltages and temperatures during stress test, use OCCT for that and upload screen shots that show temperatures and voltages (should include 12V).

I have not had the chance to do stress tests since the issues started yesterday and the first thing I did was to change the CPU thermal paste, as I was thinking the shutdowns were because of overheating. After the paste change, the PC doesn’t power up anymore, so obviusly I can’t do any tests now.

PSU is just as old as the other components and didn’t encounter any issues whatsoever until yesterday.

Also I didn’t do any other changes hardware or software wise before and after the shutdown issues started.