Question PC not starting – no display or beep sound

garvind25

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2016
Hi,

I have an old PC which is not starting. When I press the power button, the cabinet fan starts and after a few seconds it stops. Then again it restarts on its own and after a few seconds it stops. This goes on indefinitely. There is no display or beep sound from the desktop. What could have gone wrong pls?

Configuration: Q6600 processor, Gigabyte G41 mother board, 4 + 4 GB DDR 3 RAM, 1000 GB SATA HDD.

Any pointers to troubleshoot will be thankfully accepted.

Regards,

Arvind Gupta.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)?

Power down, unplug, open the case. Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage.

garvind25

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2016
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)?

Power down, unplug, open the case. Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage.
Thanks for your reply. PSU is Zebronics 450 W; 2 years old (bought new). I will carry out the remaining suggestions.

garvind25

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2016
I would say the motherboard is toast, or the power supply.

Thanks for your reply. If PSU is toast then the cabinet fan would not switch on when I press the On switch. Also the PSU is two year old.

BTW how to get a new PC build suggestion pls? I mean where to post the request in the format given by you.

logainofhades

Titan
Thanks for your reply. If PSU is toast then the cabinet fan would not switch on when I press the On switch. Also the PSU is two year old.

BTW how to get a new PC build suggestion pls? I mean where to post the request in the format given by you.

Start a new thread in the systems section, and use the guide in the thread linked in my sig.

garvind25

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2016
Update: When I cleaned the PC internals, removed &reconnected the RAM, on switching the power up, I could see that the CPU fan was rotating and the HDD was trying to come up. Then all of a sudden the CPU fan and HDD died. Again the CPU fan started and the HDD tried to come up and again died. This cycle continued. There was no beep sound from the MoBo nor any display.

Update: When I cleaned the PC internals, removed &reconnected the RAM, on switching the power up, I could see that the CPU fan was rotating and the HDD was trying to come up. Then all of a sudden the CPU fan and HDD died. Again the CPU fan started and the HDD tried to come up and again died. This cycle continued. There was no beep sound from the MoBo nor any display.
Try one stick of RAM in slot A2.

Reactions: garvind25

garvind25

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2016
Yes... the issue was with RAM. I removed the present stick, got hold of another RAM and plugged it in. The PC is working now!

Thanks for all the help. The issue is resolved now (will post another problem in a new thread). Moderator may pls close the question.

Reactions: helper800