Pc not starting up

Blastcakegaming

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
Hi, this began a few days ago. I was playing fortnite (don't treat me like a kid ) and I left My pc for around 10 minutes. When I came back, the screen was completely white and the pc had crashed. I restarted it and on the windows screen there were squares of stripes of red and other visual artifacts. When i got back in, I started up afterburner and started up the game again. Temperatures were normal however the gpu load was pinned at 99-100% in the main menu and not long later the pc completely crashed however this time there were coloured stripes over the whole screen. After restarting again, I could use my pc normally but it will completely crash and show random colors when I start up any game. Now, when I start up I get a "starting automatic repair" and then "your pc did not start correctly" with the option to restart and use advanced options. After restarting from this, I get a blank screen and the peripherals don't get any power. These visual artifacts also appear in the BIOS.

So far I have tried cleaning my entire pc, changing the pci e slot the gpu sits in and a system restore from the day it happened.

Pc specs:

Cpu : fx 6300
Mobo: asrock 970m pro3
Gpu: sapphire r9 280
Ram: 2x4gb hyperx fury 1866mhz
Psu: corsair cx500

f56pm7
fHwatn

Solution
I am afraid the GPU is dying. If you have any spare GPU or if you can borrow one from a friend try replacing it to check it. Usually artifacts and crashing under load indicates a dying GPU.

Antonis117

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
I am afraid the GPU is dying. If you have any spare GPU or if you can borrow one from a friend try replacing it to check it. Usually artifacts and crashing under load indicates a dying GPU.

Solution

incorrector

Proper
Apr 29, 2018

Sometimes RAM is responsible aswell.run a memtest for 3+ passes

Antonis117

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014

Artifacts indicate something wrong with the video, so it is difficult to be related with the ram. Besides he gets artifacts even in bios.

incorrector

Proper
Apr 29, 2018

thermal expansion and contraction can make a system do crazy things.i have seen artifacts even when i touched a RAM while PC was working.