PC not starting.

HomelessNinja21

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
I've been helping a friend build their PC, something I've personally done a few times now, but I'm having a bit of trouble with this one. All components in, green light on the motherboard, but nothing happens when I press the power button. The fans don't begin to spin and none of the LEDs light up. The build is actually somewhat similar to what I'm currently using, the only major difference begin a different power supply. I'm using an 850w but I figure a 700w would be sufficient.

The relevant parts, for reference;
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
EVGA GTX 970 SSC
EVGA 700w Bronze
i5-6600k
ASUS Z170-A ATX DDR4 Motherboard

Is the power supply not good enough for the MB/CPU? Or maybe I'm forgetting to plug something in? Thanks.

Its more than enough, have you plugged the 4pin of the PSu to the 4pin of the CPU (in the motherboard) also you need the 24 pin plugged but my guess is you have already done that, so you shouldn't have a problem. Are you sure the PSU is turned on? There is an on/off button on the PSU (near the power cable slot) you should turn it on, else if you have the 24pin connected you should at least hear beeps.
If you have turned on your PSU then the problem is most likely that you have not connected the case pins (power pin, power reset pin, hdd led pin, etcs) to the motherboard.

HomelessNinja21

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015

The PSU has two 4-pins labelled "CPU" that both connect to the motherboard side-by-side. Should I try using only one? Also I hate messing with the case pins, but the MB came with something that seems pretty helpful. It's a connector that has all the case pin slots labelled, so you put them into the right slots then connect the single block onto the MB. I've tried with and without the connector and the PC still doesn't start. The little triangle on the case pins means positive "+" right?

HomelessNinja21

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015

I don't really know what the problem is then. What I'm thinking of now is that maybe it's not able to draw enough power from the wall for whatever reason; so maybe I'll try a different socket later. I'd say the CPU is faulty but even then at least something would happen when I press the power button. Is it possible that the PSU just doesn't work even though the motherboard is getting power (green light)?

HomelessNinja21

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015

I doubt the motherboard is dead. But I'm gonna look into the top of the case by the power button to see if its out of alignment or something got disconnected. Case is a NZXT Phantom 410.