[SOLVED] PC not turning on, it responds after hours, even in suspended mode

Jul 2, 2021
Hello. I built my PC and I have it for about 3 months now.

One day last month, I turned it off at night, everything was working perfectly but when I woke up next day it didnt start, even though mobo leds were on and looking fine. After a couple hours it worked again.

One week later exactly, it happened again, same way I woke up and didnt respond. This time it took 6 hours to work again. 2 days later, stopped again this time took 12 hours to work.

So I thought about not turning off the pc, only suspending it.. it worked for 2 days, but for my surprise, I woke up today and it happened same thing, but this time it is like suspended (power button is blinking, mobo leds on, everything looking fine) but it doesnt respond to any action..

If i press some button on my keyboard, press the power button, press and hold the power button.. nothing happens.

Is my motherboard dead or something? A capacitor? My psu?

PC specs:
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550M
RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Kingston Hyperx 3200mhz
SSD: Samsung Evo Pro 970 500GB Nvme
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G
PSU: SuperFrame 600W Active PFC Bronze 80plus

Last edited:
Solution
When it is working, psu handles fine. Problem is when i suspend or shutdown. It could be like a PSU malfunction that it needs to rest over some hours to start again?
The biggest issue with poor quality PSUs is quality of power output. Even though there can be issues while running at full operating power the low power states are particularly susceptible. This includes sleep mode and the power off state (especially sleep mode). Issues related to this are almost impossible for the layman to diagnose and even for an electrical engineer with a quality oscilloscope the only magic is putting in a quality power supply. Unfortunately this is one of those pieces that beginning builders often overlook because the only thing they see is...

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to ditch that PSU and replace it for a reliably built 450W unit, provided you don't intend to drop in a discrete GPU into the build later down the road. If you do intend to drop in a discrete GPU into the build, look for a reliably built PSU that can deliver 650W to the entire system. In short the issue can very well be your PSU, swap it out for a known branded unit.

Jul 2, 2021
You might want to ditch that PSU and replace it for a reliably built 450W unit, provided you don't intend to drop in a discrete GPU into the build later down the road. If you do intend to drop in a discrete GPU into the build, look for a reliably built PSU that can deliver 650W to the entire system. In short the issue can very well be your PSU, swap it out for a known branded unit.

When it is working, psu handles fine. Problem is when i suspend or shutdown. It could be like a PSU malfunction that it needs to rest over some hours to start again?

jasonf2

Distinguished
The biggest issue with poor quality PSUs is quality of power output. Even though there can be issues while running at full operating power the low power states are particularly susceptible. This includes sleep mode and the power off state (especially sleep mode). Issues related to this are almost impossible for the layman to diagnose and even for an electrical engineer with a quality oscilloscope the only magic is putting in a quality power supply. Unfortunately this is one of those pieces that beginning builders often overlook because the only thing they see is a wattage requirement and a price with no perceived performance gain. As clock frequency increases the power quality becomes increasingly important and low cstate voltage has to be rock solid for standby to work. Even then sleep mode is joke on X86 devices in my experience. Having built since the late 80's we have gone from PSU's being included with the case purchase to expensive split rail systems that cost 2x-3x the case price. If you spec a build for me today with a case that has an included PSU I would recommend selling it on ebay and getting a top tier unit. The one component that has caused me more rework, system instability and headache is trying to use poor quality power supplies. So while there is no guarantee that upgrading your PSU will fix your problem, it has a very high probability of being the cause of your issue.

My recommendation today is a good brand name PSU, no less than 80 plus gold and at least 750 watts. I can go into details but in a basic sense this will usually get you a stable output unit that will cover your upgrade bases for a unit being built today even if you go with a 3080 upgrade. Once you have one in your sites there are PSU reviews available on toms and it would be a good idea to search it. The 80+ standard has no quality standard behind it. Gold generally is the mid tier and pretty decent, while anything under it in the bronze category is a value line unit that typically is junk with offbrand imports being the worst.

Solution
Jul 2, 2021
The biggest issue with poor quality PSUs is quality of power output. Even though there can be issues while running at full operating power the low power states are particularly susceptible. This includes sleep mode and the power off state (especially sleep mode). Issues related to this are almost impossible for the layman to diagnose and even for an electrical engineer with a quality oscilloscope the only magic is putting in a quality power supply. Unfortunately this is one of those pieces that beginning builders often overlook because the only thing they see is a wattage requirement and a price with no perceived performance gain. As clock frequency increases the power quality becomes increasingly important and low cstate voltage has to be rock solid for standby to work. Even then sleep mode is joke on X86 devices in my experience. Having built since the late 80's we have gone from PSU's being included with the case purchase to expensive split rail systems that cost 2x-3x the case price. If you spec a build for me today with a case that has an included PSU I would recommend selling it on ebay and getting a top tier unit. The one component that has caused me more rework, system instability and headache is trying to use poor quality power supplies. So while there is no guarantee that upgrading your PSU will fix your problem, it has a very high probability of being the cause of your issue.

My recommendation today is a good brand name PSU, no less than 80 plus gold and at least 750 watts. I can go into details but in a basic sense this will usually get you a stable output unit that will cover your upgrade bases for a unit being built today even if you go with a 3080 upgrade. Once you have one in your sites there are PSU reviews available on toms and it would be a good idea to search it. The 80+ standard has no quality standard behind it. Gold generally is the mid tier and pretty decent, while anything under it in the bronze category is a value line unit that typically is junk with offbrand imports being the worst.

Thank you for your reply! I understand.. what a headache. On your experience, what good brand would you recommend to look at? Corsair? Cooler Master?

jasonf2

Distinguished
There are only a handful of manufactures and a bunch of sticker brands. Corsair falls under the sticker brand area, but they have pretty historically done a good job of holding quality control with their OEM vendors and is easily purchasable. So even though Corsair doesn't make them they are typically pretty good products. I don't have a lot of experience with Cooler Master so I can't say there. I typically stick with upper tier Seasonic. They are actually a manufacturer and their top shelf stuff is usually pretty good. No matter what when you have found something that you think is going to work for you read the reviews on Toms about it. The ability to tell if the output is stable takes some pretty high end equipment and training and they are really good about letting you know if a product isn't up to par. Even the good manufactures have lemon units from time to time and a little background check is a really good idea.