PC not working properly. What are the chances my motherboard is faulty?

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
This might be a bit of a long one sorry, but I've been having PC problems recently and can't get to the bottom of it.... ever since I opened it up to upgrade the hard drives a week ago really.

Installed the drives, and had a little vaccuum of some dust around the case (yes, I know, I shouldn't vacuum the internals of my pc). I plug everything back in and then I power the pc on... after 3 seconds it turns off, no signal to monitor, after 3 seconds, back on... and so this loop continued and continued until I pulled the plug.

Thought it could be a new drive causing an issue, so I unplug them, and the same happens.

Remove some ram and it starts but no video. Ram back in and I fiddle around with a load of power connectors, taking out individual components and nothing seemed to give any indication of a fault, all of a sudden the pc starts working again, no issues whatsoever.

A few days later I upgrade my video card to an RTX2070 and the same happens again... Fiddle fiddle fiddle and the pc miraculously starts working again.

I get home from work tonight, and there is no power AT ALL. Having suspected by this point that my power supply may be faulty, I use a case fan and a paperclip to test it, and it's fine. Yet again I mess around for ages and it suddenly starts working. All components in, recognised, and seemingly functioning ok.

However I did notice something weird around the base block of the CPU cooler.. a weird brownish substance that looks slightly sticky, and I suspect whatever it is dripped onto my last video card as I noticed it had some weird substance on it and wondered what on earth it was. Here is a photo, not great one but here. You'll need to zoom in: https://imgur.com/a/VuSj5m9

I'm really confused as to what may be the problem here. I've had the pc under high load and everything has been stable. Temps are ok, but clearly something isn't right. It's not the hard drive, and it's not my new video card. Any ideas? Could whatever I have found on my CPU cooler be linked to this?

Edit; my motherboard seems to provide power to the rear USB even when the PC is turned off or at least has previously, I know this because I have seen the light on my WiFi dongle lit after I've shut down, I noticed earlier today that this was not happening. I don't know if this is relevant but it certainly seems to point towards the mtoherboard?

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I will probably try this later. Ultimately though I can see myself replacing many parts over the next week. My 3570k and 1333mhz ddr3 ram has been struggling to keep up fully with my new RTX2070 in many different games so I've been considering upgrading even if everything were to be working fine.

Gpu and drives are certainly ok, so if my new board/cpu/ram still gives the same issue I can confidently say I have an intermittently bad power supply.

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Power and reset switches also confirmed ok now after shorting the pins with a key.

While I had the power switch connectors out I also noticed the PC now starts of it's own accord when I switch the power supply to ON and begins the loop of starting ans stopping every few seconds. An entire new motherboard/cpu/ram will be ordered for tomorrow, and probably a new pay also. The ocz must be 5 nearly 6 years old now.

Ragnarous

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013

Since you'll be replacing many hardware that are candidates for this issue you are describing, when they arrive post here if that fixed the issue or not

Ragnarous

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013

EVGA G3 is an excellent choice. Although they reported it being a little loud for some reason, it does an excellent job at delivering constant voltage and is excellent for even extreme overclocking.

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I think I may have just found the culprit. I ordered the parts but decided to bench the motherboard anyway, when I moved the power supply I heard something rattling, eventually I managed to shake a case screw out of the thing and and now the thing powers.

How it got in there considering the fan is on the bottom of the case i don't know, but could this be something that would create an issue, if it were to cause the power supply to short?

Still going to continue with upgrading since its been on my mind anyway and the current parts can be resold.

Ragnarous

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013

You are lucky that it didn't fry something. You never leave a metal screw in there :p
Glad you figured it out! So it was a screw in the power supply?

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Turns out it wasn't the screw! Benched again this morning and the issue persisted. The seasonic powers the motherboard ok though. My old psu is dead as far as I can tell. I am about to begin assembling my new, faster build. My 3570k/mobo/8gb ram should get me a nice amount of the cost back on Ebay.