PC occasionally freezes after installing new RAM

CasualPorpoise

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
I used to have 8 (2x4) GBs of RAM but Google Chrome was taking up too much so I decided to get 8 (2x4) GBs more. I'm almost 100% sure I got the same RAM, but the old 8 GBs are around 2 years old. Ever since I installed the new RAM I've been getting random freezing. I have tried slightly increasing the voltage of the RAM (a solution I found on here) but it did not work.

Specs:
CPU: AMD F-9590
Mobo: GA-990FXA-UD3
RAM: 16 GBs (4x4 GBs) G.Skill RipJawsX 1866MHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 970
PSU: Corsair CX750M

Any help is greatly appreciated!

fedefury

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016
Have you checked the serial number on the back of your ram sticks? If not check, the new ones are maybe the updated version of the 2 year old ones. This can be sen if they do not match or not at least similar. All your other components seem to be compatible. With freezing what do you mean? Does the screen freeze? Anyways i hope i helped :) and i hope to hear from you soon!

CasualPorpoise

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
It actually might not be the RAM, I just remembered a pretty important piece of information. After posting this question, I decided to take out my old RAM to see if just the new would work, but it still froze. Same with the old RAM after I switched it out. The only things I can think that are wrong are the motherboard (could have shocked if when putting in the RAM) or the hard drive (looked it up and found something named bad sectors could be doing this). Is there any way to determine what is causing it?

Edit: I tried raising the the NB voltage but it still froze.

fedefury

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016

i dont think that would matter, since of the motherboard doesn't support the CPU , the computer wont even run.

fedefury

Honorable
Jun 18, 2016

ooohh ok, i didnt know that. sry