[SOLVED] PC often BSODs (Critical Process died, and Unexpected Store Exception)

Nov 12, 2020
Hello.
Recently I reinstalled Windows on new SSD disk. (Did clean install there, before installing I changed mode to AHCI). Earlier I was using HDD disk, and everything worked fine.
PC regullary crashes and shows BSOD (Critical Process Died or Unexpected Store Exception).
It happens irregullary, but about once or twice a day. (Sometimes it works fine for two days). Sometimes during playing a game, sometimes just during idling, sometimes while browsing internet.
Already reinstalled Windows couple of times.
Checked disk with sfc /scannow and dism /online... and everything seemed fine.
Done test with memetest86, which seems to be working fine (no errors there).
Tried installing drivers manually and with driver booster.
Tried using Samsung Magician.
It seems to be crashing on ntoskrnl.exe.

PC specification:
Windows 10 Home (10.0.19042)
Motherboard: Z87-G41 PC Mate
Intel Core i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20 GHz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 660
8gb RAM

Bluescreenview file and screenshot from CrystalDiskInfo:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aub2tbvMQh4-fy3R2yq7Zk63w7M?e=5MtFYg

I have no other ideas, what I could do. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Solution
new sata cable might help.

what happened when you tried to use Samsung Magician?
think we need to make sure SSD is okay
Samsung 860 evo should work with magician.

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you go to c:/windows/minidump
copy the files from here to another folder
upload copies from new folder to Onedrive and show link here and I see what they show

the store in the error is used by windows to know whats in virtual memory
Critical process died is less clear. Can be a number of win 10 files that if any fail, so does windows.

driver booster is a mistake, it can and will install the wrong drivers. It always seems to think people are missing 18+ drivers, I have never seen one with that many.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/vg5rwcmd/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:111220-11359-01.dmp (Nov 12 2020 - 14:46:48)
Bugcheck:UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION (154)
Probably caused by:hardware_disk (Process: MemCompression)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 40 Min(s), and 39 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z87-G41-PC-Mate
There are BIOS updates available for your system. You are using version 1.1 and the latest is 1.8. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Tried using Samsung Magician.
tried? did it work? did you run diagnostic scan? check SMART scores?

the error happened when PC tried to talk to ssd. right before error there was a page fault. This isn't an error in itself, win 10 has 1000's of page faults a day as they are normal... what they represent is a time the PC couldn't find the info it was looking for in ram and had to access the ssd. Now it could be a driver for the error above but not for critical process died. Although the 2nd error isn't obvious enough what causes those. It could be storage as some of the critical files are boot related.

its possible BIOS update could help. Only as its a new ssd, if it was all old parts and it started messing up I would lean towards hardware.

MSI are nice and show you how to update their BIOS

Nov 12, 2020
This is good idea, I was wondering about updating BIOS.

But number of posts and articles told me, that I should be careful about updating Z87-G41 Motherboard Bios, cause it can brick it.

For example:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/dd59lu/dead_mob_after_bios_update_msi_z87g41/

"You must use one of the following methods to update this BIOS. - Use MFlash to update "BIOS + ME" - Use MSI LiveUpdate"

Which is safer here? I saw some posts about MFlash not being safe (bricking the Motherboard), but about LiveUpdate aswell. Or is there another safe way to do it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would use which ever tool is inside the bios itself and not any software such as live update. If you are getting BSOD inside windows, doing the update outside of windows sounds safer to me.

Yes, BIOS updates can brick motherboards but the number of people who had no problems isn't recorded online and only the people with problems are, so it can make it look like they always brick motherboards. I have updated mine in the past and while it isn't something we suggest on a whim, it can help.

It is up to you, we can't force you to update. We can keep looking for a cause that isn't the bios.

what was result running Magician? I know it has a few ways to check drivers, be that benchmarks or scans - I ran it myself about 20 minutes ago.

Nov 12, 2020
I'm running tests once again now - to be sure that I didn't overlooked something. But as far as I remember, there were no problems with Fullscan, Smart self test, or Performance Benchmark.
It takes some time, so I will post the results soon. But I guess, if there are no errors there, I will perform BIOS udpate after that.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the new dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/980gne4s/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:111520-14843-01.dmp (Nov 15 2020 - 08:11:15)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 26 Min(s), and 41 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am wondering if its this driver
Nov 27 2012ISCTD64.sysIntel(R) Smart Connect Technology Device driver

I have looked at it before, its not a win 10 driver based on age of driver itself.
It is listed under motherboard drivers for win 8 but not win 10.
WIndows may have installed it auto for you though. This is main reason I am not saying uninstall it, as it might be needed for something.

can you run auto runs - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns - and use it to stop it loading at start up, if any programs do use driver it will be reloaded. this is just an easy way to test if it is cause or not.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/2rkma19o/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:111620-11093-01.dmp (Nov 15 2020 - 18:36:28)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 28 Min(s), and 42 Sec(s)