PC only boots off one RAM stick??

Feb 10, 2019
yesterday I upgraded my cpu and ram heat-sinks, after installing and putting everything back together, i try booting my pc up and its starting but nothing on display i noticed everything within the pc was on like leds and fans EXCEPT my gpu fan, it would start for 2 seconds after turning pc on then stop, so i know its not a dead gpu. i tried booting off one ram module and it worked with the gpu fan running, and im currently posting this thread with one stick of ram in with the other right next to me (im not going to attempt playing any games). i have tried both modules individually and tested working properly but both cannot be used at the same time although I've entered my bios and enabled XMP save, So what does this mean? I've come to the conclusion its something to do with my mobo here are my specs as my current build is a mini itx and mind you its a bit outdated but still a beast for the games i play:

cpu : i5 4670k @3.40ghz

cpu heatsink: thermaltake low-profile engine

gpu: rx 460 2gb oc

mobo: msi z871 gaming mini-itx

ram: 2x4gb ddr3 1600mhz patriot viper (added rgb heatsinks)

psu: antec 450w

ssd: 128gb 16mb cache

hdd: 1tb seagate 7200rpm

case: cooler master elite 120

i must clarify that i did install new heatsinks on my ram that required me to remove the installed vests on the module sticks via heatgun but from testing both ram work properly

RGB RAM heatsinks that i used

(https://www.amazon.com/Memory-Cooling-Radiation-Dissipate-Overclocking/dp/B078R53HTT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549833882&sr=8-1&keywords=uphere+rgb+ram)

compprob237

Distinguished
yesterday I upgraded my cpu and ram heat-sinks, after installing and putting everything back together, i try booting my pc up and its starting but nothing on display i noticed everything within the pc was on like leds and fans EXCEPT my gpu fan, it would start for 2 seconds after turning pc on then stop, so i know its not a dead gpu. i tried booting off one ram module and it worked with the gpu fan running, and im currently posting this thread with one stick of ram in with the other right next to me (im not going to attempt playing any games). i have tried both modules individually and tested working properly but both cannot be used at the same time although I've entered my bios and enabled XMP save, So what does this mean? I've come to the conclusion its something to do with my mobo here are my specs as my current build is a mini itx and mind you its a bit outdated but still a beast for the games i play:

cpu : i5 4670k @3.40ghz

gpu: rx 460 2gb oc

mobo: msi z871 gaming mini-itx

ram: 2x4gb ddr3 1600mhz patriot viper (added rgb heatsinks)

psu: antec 450w

ssd: 128gb 16mb cache

hdd: 1tb seagate 7200rpm

case: cooler master elite 120

i must clarify that i did install new heatsinks on my ram that required me to remove the installed vests on the module sticks via heatgun but from testing both ram work properly

RGB RAM heatsinks that i used

(https://www.amazon.com/Memory-Cooli...833882&sr=8-1&keywords=uphere+rgb+ram)
Have you updated the BIOS?
Most recent version, 1.5, says:
"- Improved memory compatibility.
- Support PSC B-die DDR3 Memory"
Which might be important here.

Have you tried switching the RAM sticks position?
Have you tried putting the original heatsinks back on?
What are the specific models of RAM and RGB heatsink so I can look them up?

This one?
It's meant for cpus up to 35W TDP. i5- 4670k is 84W TDP cpu. That cooler obviously is not sufficient. Get a decent cooler for your cpu.

main.jpg

https://www.thermaltake.com/Cooler/Air_Cooler_/Others/C_00003213/Engine_17/Design.htm

Reactions: compprob237