Question PC only boots to the onboard graphics instead of the GPU

dansantos047

Commendable
Oct 22, 2018
My PC suddently started losing video due to a driver problem. I've re-installed the driver and thought that the problem was solved.

On the next day, however, the PC lost video again. I've restarted it and it didn't display anything, yet the keyboard still responded. But, when i took the VGA cable off my GT 420 and plugged to the motherboard, with the PC still on, the image appears.

Tried nearly everything: i've reseted the BIOS, cleaned the GPU, motherboard and RAM, "re-installed" the drivers (i mean, uninstalled and i can't even install back, because Windows won't even recognize it), disabled the onboard graphics and hooked the PC off to an TV via HDMI. Nothing worked.

dansantos047

Commendable
Oct 22, 2018
Might be the GPU is not working anymore, or the PCIE slot issue. Because the system is automatically use the onboard graphic. To make sure, have you another GPU to test, or another system to test the GPU ?

Sadly, i don't have another GPU neither another system to test. I'll try to borrow one.

If the GPU died, wasn't the PC supposed to not even respond at all, even if plugged to the onboard? I hope it didn't, because, due to that pandemic, the prices for a new card in my country (Brazil) skyrocketed.

Sadly, i don't have another GPU neither another system to test. I'll try to borrow one.

If the GPU died, wasn't the PC supposed to not even respond at all, even if plugged to the onboard? I hope it didn't, because, due to that pandemic, the prices for a new card in my country (Brazil) skyrocketed.
Since you have onboard GPU, they will automatically use the available GPU. i3 2130 have integrated intel graphic 2000.
Except you're using CPU with no onboard graphics (like Intel Xeon, Ryzen ,AMD FX, etc). That's why I recommend to test it before take the conclusion.

dansantos047

Commendable
Oct 22, 2018
Tried to boot the PC without the HD, didn't work

But, after messing around with the BIOS settings (enabled Render Standby/IGPU Multi-monitor and set PCIe Link Speed from Auto to Gen2), turning off the PC and plugging the VGA in the GT 420, it displayed image. GPU-Z even recognized it.

However, after Windows auto-installed the right driver, i rebooted the PC and, guess what? Image's back to the onboard again. The GPU disappeared from GPU-Z.

I don't know what to do anymore, aside from borrowing another PC to test.