[SOLVED] PC only boots to windows through BIOS

AwesomeApe

Honorable
Aug 3, 2017
I can only boot to windows through the BIOS. This is a problem that I have had before and magically fixed, I really don't know how. I just installed a new m.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus and now the issue is back. So far, I have moved windows and the contents of the 860 EVO SSD to the m.2 and wiped the 860 EVO SSD. This deems it not a storage issue. I have also tried my old PSU so it's not power. The only resolution I have found is removing half of my ram will bring it to boot straight to windows sometimes. However, I feel like this isn't the solution since I'm able to boot windows through the BIOS with all 16GB fine. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Part list from pc part picker
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($360.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 4 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB GAMING Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Corsair)

Solution
Ok.
First set
DDR voltage to 1.35V,​
DRAM frequency to 2133mhz,​
Command rate to 2T,​
and see, if that resolves booting issue.

If it doesn't help, then increase CL setting to 17, test.
If still the same problem then increase CL to 18 (up to 20) and test again.

After that you may try increasing DRAM frequency to 2400mhz.
I can only boot to windows through the BIOS. This is a problem that I have had before and magically fixed, I really don't know how. I just installed a new m.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus and now the issue is back. So far, I have moved windows and the contents of the 860 EVO SSD to the m.2 and wiped the 860 EVO SSD. This deems it not a storage issue. I have also tried my old PSU so it's not power. The only resolution I have found is removing half of my ram will bring it to boot straight to windows sometimes. However, I feel like this isn't the solution since I'm able to boot windows through the BIOS with all 16GB fine. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Part list from pc part picker
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($360.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 4 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB GAMING Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Corsair)
When it boots to BIOS, what do you have to do to start Windows ?

AwesomeApe

Honorable
Aug 3, 2017
I switched Boot from storage drives to legacy only, and it works... kinda. The boot now is extremely slow, especially for an m.2 drive. It took for than 2 or 3 min to boot.
You have 2 bootloaders. That causes confusion. You should have only single bootloader in your system.
You have:
Legacy bootloader on 1TB drive and​
UEFI bootloader on 2TB drive.​

Try to boot your system with 2TB hdd disconnected. If you can boot successfully into windows, then delete EFI system partition from 2TB drive.
You'll have to use diskpart for this. Disk Management will not allow deleting EFI system partition.

Reactions: CountMike

AwesomeApe

Honorable
Aug 3, 2017
You have 2 bootloaders. That causes confusion. You should have only single bootloader in your system.
You have:
Legacy bootloader on 1TB drive and​
UEFI bootloader on 2TB drive.​

Try to boot your system with 2TB hdd disconnected. If you can boot successfully into windows, then delete EFI system partition from 2TB drive.
You'll have to use diskpart for this. Disk Management will not allow deleting EFI system partition.

This worked as well, but the boot speed to Windows is still really slow, up to 4-5 min sometimes. Any ideas?

New disk management photo:
View: https://imgur.com/a/rIIWLCE

This worked as well, but the boot speed to Windows is still really slow, up to 4-5 min sometimes. Any ideas?

New disk management photo:
View: https://imgur.com/a/rIIWLCE
With other disk(s) disconnected, try this method.

AwesomeApe

Honorable
Aug 3, 2017
Well, there is some progress. After, wiping the m.2 and reinstalling windows, I was able to get the windows boot manager. With this, I'm able to get boot times under 5 seconds. However, I have to force boot through the BIOS still. My boot priority is just the boot manager and the m.2. What do y'all think I should do?

AwesomeApe

Honorable
Aug 3, 2017
When I boot, my asus motherboard will light up orange and then red. I then have to click the reset button on the motherboard to get a boot. It would flash orange once and then go away and boot. It says Memory OK! Succeeds in system booting! I then have to enter the bios and force boot onto boot manager to boot in.

To add, I'm able to get a successful boot with 2 ram sticks in slots 1 and 2. I also have this issue when I'm playing games, rarely not playing games, when my computer will just freeze. There will be a static noise for a split second and whatever the last frame was, it will stay that. Then I would have to reset. This happens very often, sometimes daily. Not sure if the last thing has anything to do with that, but these are other things I have noticed with this computer.

Last edited: