[SOLVED] PC Only boots with linux

Aug 27, 2019
Hello everybody and good evening!

I recently built a new pc and I'm having a weird issue: When the PC tries to boot to windows it suddenly restarts out of nowhere, weird thing is ... its kinda random . PC Specs:

• Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Elite
  • i7 9700k
  • 2 x8 Corsair vengeance 3200MHZ
  • No GPU atm
  • NZXT Kraken M22 AIO
  • Crucial P1 Nvme SSD
Going into details, what happends is that I try to install Windows 10 , the Setup starts normally I can choose language, setup the disks/partitions, setup continues to copy the data and install the windows.
Thing is when the pc has to reboot to enter windows settings (Where you choose the region, account name etc.) it reboots right after loading the first dialog or before finishing the "dot wheel" loading screen.
What I've tried:
  1. I've tried swapping RAM, using only one stick and another kit that I had around each scenario the mobo recognized the RAM and the CPU without any problem and during my tests the problem persisted.
  2. Plugin and unplugin the PSU Cables
  3. Flashing the BIOS to another version
  4. Running with CMS off
  5. Windows 10 1903 & 1803
  6. Ultra fast boot mode
What i have noticed trying to run windows:
  1. Right when the PC starts the CPU LED indicador flashes for half a second
  2. If i let windows reboot for about 3-4 times i can access the recovery mode and start on safe mode, but because I haven't finished the installation it boots to the settings dialogs where i get stuck at setting the username account because it gets buggy
  3. PC does not reboot on BIOS
Now on the linux part: Linux mint and POP! OS work with any problem. I currently have installed on the SSD linux mint and the PC boots with no problem, I can even watch youtube videos on 4K lol

on this part I noticed 2 weird bugs that i did not have a chance to replicate:
  1. When I was booting linux mint from the USB with a live session sometimes it would reboot If i did not select Compatibility mode (Really a hit or miss)
  2. In 1 ocassion when I plugged my mouse while running linux mint for about half an hour the PC restarted
  3. After installing Linux M. the pc has not failed to boot in any occassion
PST: I even tried Windows 7 but it straight up freezes on the installation screen where you choose the language lol

Im running everything on stock, no XMP no OC nothing. BIOS versions of the mobo is the lastest from rev 1.0 F8. This BIOS UI its really not that intuitive so I might be missing something

Any ideas on what I am missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 27, 2019
Have you tried resetting the bios, pull the cmos battery for 5 minutes, unplug the psu from the wall then replace and see if bios will come up. If it does set to factory/default/optimized settings and restart. See if you can load windows after that.
I just did that and it did not work. Now it barely boots into Linux without restarting

Guide for installing Windows 10 on NVMe M.2 drive is found in this thread:

Aug 27, 2019
Guide for installing Windows 10 on NVMe M.2 drive is found in this thread:
Doesn't have anything to do with my M.2. Windows is already installed in the SSD and can't even boot it from the USB so it's not the disk.