[SOLVED] PC only boots with one stick of RAM after upgrading CPU

May 29, 2022
So I recently upgraded by CPU to an i7-6700, and afterwards my PC only boots with only one stick of RAM. I've tried each stick individually in each slot (both HyperX DDR4 4gb in an ASROCK b250m-HDV), so this isn't due to faulty sticks/ports, the only config that doesn't boot are when they are together. I obviously have no idea, and it could easily be something else, but I'm pretty sure it's something to do with voltage in BIOS, but I haven't a clue how to change it or what is safe, they are quite intimidating for someone not fully into computers.

Solution
This motherboard?

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B250M-HDV.pdf

Verify that I found the correct User Manual.

Start by verifying that all installed components are indeed supported by the motherboard.

Then refers to the manual to ensure that all components are correctly installed, connected (as applicable), and configured.

In many cases the manual will refer you to the Asrock website for more up-to-date information.

That said: were the memory sticks purchased as a kit for dual channel memory. Versus being separately obtained or purchased?

It does take time and effort to get a sense of it all.

For the most part, if you are using supported components then the default BIOS configuration should permit the computer to...

Ralston18

Titan
This motherboard?

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B250M-HDV.pdf

Verify that I found the correct User Manual.

Start by verifying that all installed components are indeed supported by the motherboard.

Then refers to the manual to ensure that all components are correctly installed, connected (as applicable), and configured.

In many cases the manual will refer you to the Asrock website for more up-to-date information.

That said: were the memory sticks purchased as a kit for dual channel memory. Versus being separately obtained or purchased?

It does take time and effort to get a sense of it all.

For the most part, if you are using supported components then the default BIOS configuration should permit the computer to successfully boot.

EZ mode for example, Page 37 will provide the initial configuration settings.

No immediate need to change anything. First gain a sense of what you have. Then make changes that are needed and warranted.

Be sure to visit Asrock's website when directed to do so by the manual.

Solution