Question PC only fully boots up when I plug/unplug SATA

geochan

Reputable
Sep 25, 2017
Hi guys. I have a problem.

My PC somehow stops fully booting up normally after I removed a dead HDD, if i turn on the power normally, the lights and fan will turn on but mobo will have red lights and no display. The only time it can boot up fully to login is when i unplug or replug the SATA cable of either HDD or Mobo while the power is still plugged in, it wouldn't work if the power is out. The SATA HDD isn't my system drive, I'm using m.2 ssd as system drive but even when SATA cables are all unplugged it still wouldn't boot up to login screen. The only time it can boot up to login is when i unplug or replug the SATA cable while turning the pc on and i have to do this everytime, if I decide to restart pc it will go mobo red lights no display again until i touch the SATA cable.

Things I have tried:

1. Full Shutdown for 5 mins - 8 hours. [Not Fixed]
  2. Replugging SATA cables and Power cables of Sata Drives [Not Fixed]
  3. Unplugging all SATA drives [Not Fixed]
  4. Replugging SATA cables during turn on sequence [Temp Fix]
What could be the problem? What can i do to fix this and boot normally again?

Full Specs:
OS - Windows 10
CPU - Ryzen 3700x
MOBO - MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk MAX WIFI
GPU - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super
RAM - 4x8 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 8GB 3200.
PSU - Corsair RM850 850W
SSD M.2 System Drive - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB [60% Full]
SSD SATA - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB [90% Full]
HDD SATA - Seagate Barracuda 1TB [60% Full]

All parts are originally bought brand new. Aside from MOBO (2 Months Brand New) and HDD (2 Weeks Brand New), all other parts are at most 3 years old.

Edited 7/15 - Added more information.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age ( 3 years?), condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used?

Disk drive(s): make model, capacity, how full?

= == =

System and all important data backed up - correct?

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage.

geochan

Reputable
Sep 25, 2017
-cool instructions-

I have updated my original post for the full specs.

Full Specs:
OS - Windows 10
CPU - Ryzen 3700x (Brand New) [3 Years]
MOBO - MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk MAX WIFI (Brand New) [2 Months]
GPU - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2070 Super (Brand New) [3 Years]
RAM - 4x8 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 8GB 3200. (Brand New) [3 Years]

PSU - Corsair RM850 850W (Bought Brand New) [3 Years]

Drives:

System Drive - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB [60% Full] (Brand New) [3 Years]
SSD SATA - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB [90% Full] (Brand New) [3 Years]
HDD SATA - Seagate Barracuda 1TB [60% Full] (Brand New) [2 Weeks]

Yes, everything has a backup. I have verified that all parts are fully and firmly in place and there doesn't seem to be any damage, however I have not tried to reseat them. Should I do it?

I also forgot to mention that prior to this happening, I removed a dead HDD (S.M.A.R.T. Critical Fail) that is no longer able to function correctly. The said HDD is also just an extra and was not system drive. The Seagate Barracuda 1TB is actually meant to be a replacement for this one which i bought and installed 2 weeks ago, after backing up everything that can be moved I removed the HDD and this happened.

Ralston18

Titan
This motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/MAGX570STOMAHAWKMAXWIFI_TORPEDOMAX.pdf

[Do verify that I found the correct User Guide.]

Yes re-seat everything but reference the User Guide to ensure that all connections are correct and properly configured.

Read through the User Guide first as a matter of preparation. Details matter and if referred to the manufacturer's website for updated information then do so.

Because you have been working with disk drives and SATA connectors take a close look at the instructions provided on physically numbered Pages 22-24.

Again, read though and review everything first including BIOS starting on Page 35.

The objective being to ensure that all components are indeed supported, fully and firmly connected, and configured accordingly.

There is no harm in reviewing the various admin screens as long as you are careful not to accidentally change anything. Keep notes about what you find and anything that seems astray. Remember "CANCEL" is your friend. If unsure, back out, and start over.

The 3 year old PSU could be a bit suspect. That can be looked at later if necessary.

geochan

Reputable
Sep 25, 2017
-cool instructions-

Hi. Apologies for the very late reply, after re-seating my components, I couldn't boot completely anymore even after touching SATA cables, so it took awhile to figure out how to let it boot up completely again. Tbh, it's only a miracle that I am able to boot up completely this time.

Yes. That is indeed the motherboard i have and it is the correct manual.

Regarding my findings. After re-seating everything except CPU, my pc wouldn't boot up anymore no matter what I do, i also noticed that my gpu fans no longer lights up, unlike how it was before re-seating where all the fans would light up as i turn on the pc. So I tried to slowly remove one by one of the parts until the essentials is left.

Here is step by step of what i did.

1. Removed both SATA drives [Not Fixed] [Red Light]
  2. Removed 3 Rams [Not Fixed] [Red Light]
  3. Removed GPU [Not Fixed] [Red Light]
  4. Removed M.2 System Drive [Not Fixed] [Red Light]
  5. Removed Final Ram [Not Fixed] [Red Light]
  6. Added One Ram [Not Fixed] [Red Light]
  7. Added GPU [GPU Power Unplugged] [Boots to Bios] [White Light] [Restarted 5 times All Success]
  8. Added M.2 System Drive [GPU Power Unplugged] [Boots to Bios] [White Light] [Restarted 3 times All Success]
  9. Plugged GPU Power [Boots to Bios] [White Light] [Restarted 3 times All Success]
  10. Added 3 Rams [Failed] [Red Light] [Restarted 3 times All Failed]
  11. Removed 3 Rams [Not Fixed] [Red Light] [Restarted 3 times All Failed]
  12. Unplugged GPU Power [Not Fixed] [Red Light] [Restarted 3 times All Failed]
  13. Plugged GPU Power [Not Fixed] [Red Light] [Restarted 3 times All Failed]
  14. Added 3 Rams [Not Fixed] [Red Light] [Restarted 3 times All Failed]
  15. Added both SATA drives [Not Fixed] [Red Light] [Restarted 5 times All Failed]
  16. Re-plugging SATA cables during turn on sequence [Not Fixed] [Red Light] [Restarted 5 times All Failed]
  17. Unplugged GPU Power [Not Fixed] [Red Light] [Restarted 3 times All Failed]
  18. Plugged GPU Power [Not Fixed] [Red Light]
  19. Restarted PC Numerous Times [Miracle Boot (Now)]
After removing everything one by one, it still wouldn't boot to bios even with essentials left, I had to remove everything and add the essentials one by one for it to be able to boot to bios. After I added more rams it goes red light forever and wouldn't boot to bios again, even after removing the added ram and undoing some step. What I noticed is that when I turn on my PC, all the fans would make loud noise and will persist when it is able to boot up to bios and login, but when it doesn't and stays on red lights, the fans would stop making loud noise and spin quietly. Also, during the first time booting to bios and a few times after but not always, it would tell me that my CMOS and Bios has been reset to the default settings, which it did reset to the default settings. It happened to this final miracle boot which is now too.

Since you mentioned PSU having problem, I am either suspecting that either PSU is no longer able to reliably power up my computer every time or that there is something wrong with CMOS battery as it's reseting my bios settings even though I did not touch it at all. Or that there's something wrong with my motherboard. Just my thoughts as a greenhorn.

What do you think could be the problem?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Replacing the CMOS battery is straight-forward and not expensive. Give that a try.

That said, all of the failures that you posted have, as I understand them all, one thing in common. That thing being the PSU.

If at all possible try installing (for testing purposes) a known working PSU.

Or test the existing PSU per:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

After reading back - will the computer boot into Safe Mode?

geochan

Reputable
Sep 25, 2017
-cool instructions-

Hi.

Ever since the miracle boot, my PC has been able to boot up normally every time for 1 week already. I have honestly no idea what fixed it as i haven't done anything outside of what i said, it was also only able to boot up miraculously after i tried restarting it multiple times out of desperation.

As it is now booting up normally, I couldn't try replacing CMOS battery or PSU but that would be the next thing i will try if ever it stops booting up again.

As for the safe mode, if it can boot into bios, it could also boot into safe mode but when it's full red light, it couldn't boot into anything at all.

For now, i guess the thread can be considered as solved.

Thank you very much for helping me.