[SOLVED] PC only powers on at maintenance shop, won't power on at home ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2021
problem is in the title. no idea why but had my pc at the shop to troubleshoot why it wasnt booting up at all (no fans lights or anything). went to pick it up today and it was working at the shop! i was stoked, they even gave me the same power cord they were using in case mine was bad...get home AND NO BOOT AGAIN!!! i even tried plugging into EVERY SINGLE OUTLET in my entire house and none of them got it to work. what could possibly cause this?!?? PLEASE HELP

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
how much wattage should my outlet be giving out?

Where do you live?

In the US voltage should be "110VAC". It's technically 120V but quite normal to see reading in-between and even slightly above or below.

A friend of mine had this issue due to some wiring problems in an old condo he was in. Even buying a UPS did not help until he brought it to my house, we gave it a full overnight charge and then it has maintained proper operation in his condo since. There are known issues there both with voltage and amperage.
As above, you should likely call an electrician out to see what's going on. Particularly in the case of low amperage, it can cause damage to electronics, motors, compressors...all manner of things likely already running in your home.

Where do you live?

In the US voltage should be "110VAC". It's technically 120V but quite normal to see reading in-between and even slightly above or below.

A friend of mine had this issue due to some wiring problems in an old condo he was in. Even buying a UPS did not help until he brought it to my house, we gave it a full overnight charge and then it has maintained proper operation in his condo since. There are known issues there both with voltage and amperage.
As above, you should likely call an electrician out to see what's going on. Particularly in the case of low amperage, it can cause damage to electronics, motors, compressors...all manner of things likely already running in your home.
I concur. Its particularly bad as punk said with low amperage. Think of low fluctuating amperage as constantly having a brownout, which is extremely bad for anything with a PCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.